Friday, October 3, 2014

HAS IT REALLY BEEN TWO WEEKS SINCE....?

Yes, it is two weeks and one day since my last post and I must apologize to everyone (that is if anyone is still following me) especially those whose posts I've not visited or, if I did, didn't leave a comment.

I appear to have fallen, no perhaps just collapsed, into a deep hole from which I am endeavouring to extract myself.   I made one attempt at Wednesday words last month but my mind is not working as it should, so putting words together has not been easy.  I'm down there somewhere in that hole:


No excuses except I am old and at times things get on top of me (perhaps I should just pull the cover over the hole I'm in and accept it) but I read a good piece of advice on WebMD today which may be part of my problem.  It said not to listen to news headlines which can depress one and I think, perhaps with all the dreadful things happening in the world today, that is excellent advice.

I hear of the fighting and hating that is going on and I fear for my grandchildren and great-grandchildren and wonder what the world will be like for them in 30-50 years time. I am thankful I shall be long gone before then as the world I once knew is rapidly coming to an end.  I know I lived through the years beginning with the Great Depression and then WW2 and subsequent smaller wars, but somehow people still cared about each other.  These days folk are often far to busy; their lives seem so much fuller than ours were way back then.  Of course we only had radio until television came along in about 1958 so not a lot of distractions but we certainly didn't have all the mod cons people have today.

Since the advent of computers, mobile phones etc. people seem to keep in touch with text messages, emails etc. but not the written word nor the spoken word.  I miss that dreadfully but was delighted yesterday when our friend Richard called via his mobile from Darwin (in our Northern Territory).  Now that was so thoughtful of him and it was much appreciated.  He left Perth in July and has now travelled 4,041 kilometres in his camper van to reach Darwin, plus of course all the extra mileage he did in between investigating places en route.   He is 50 years of age and this is a great adventure for him to undertake on his own.  He says he is still enjoying himself and isn't sure what his future movements will be or when he will return home.  Richard has also sent emails on his journey but it is always great when he takes time to make a phone call to us when he is within range of a mobile tower.  This is the route he would have taken:


Another reason I often feel really down is the fact that modern technology has left me way behind.  I have a computer which is great but no iPad nor an iPhone (we do have a simple mobile phone but even that is too much for us to fully understand although we can receive and make calls on it) and although I use Facebook to play Scrabble and keep in touch with what family are doing I have no idea how to use other social media and I'm not particularly sure I even want to.

I now find in brochures, magazines etc., these little black and white squares I am supposed to click on to find out MORE.  What and how do I do that?   Is there another way I can find out what they are trying to tell me or offering me?   What am I missing out on?  I have no idea but it too makes me feel left out and how do I find out about it all.

I have a feeling of being redundant (dictionary meaning: superfluous, no longer needed) as I really am of little use to anyone or anything except Phil and our cat.  I know Phil could manage without me if he had to although he doesn't want to have to do so, and Candy would miss me but would still get looked after.

It is truly awful to feel this way and I am doing my level best to try and climb out of that deep hole and get on with some sort of existence.  I am determined to give the news a big miss for a while as I can do nothing to ease the stress the world is having.   I will try very hard not to anticipate the heat our summer will surely bring; we had a taste of it last week and I didn't enjoy it one little bit.   I will once again try the power of positive thinking.  It's worked before so here's hoping.

One thing I enjoyed doing on my blog was researching different things such as flowers, animals etc. but I ran out of ideas.  I wonder if anyone has suggestions of a theme I could work on.  I think I need something to inspire me, to get the old brain into gear once again.   Can you perhaps help in this regard?  It would be much appreciated if you could and, if you do, thank you.

25 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've hit some real depression, Mimsie. Might be time to get out of the house for a lunch at a place with some beautiful flowers, or sit on a bench for a bit and people watch, etc. Sometimes the small but finer things in life are good for lifting the spirits. I definitely noticed your lack of presence and commented to Beth several times that I was worried about your lack of blogging. Now I understand why.

    In terms of themes, Beth and I were just talking and would love to hear your perspective on historical and older pop culture events during your life time. You are talking about how different it is today, why don't you tell us about the earlier years. Where were you when JFK died? What was it like living during the time of the Queens coronation? Tiananmen Square? The mini skirt. Man on the moon. The introduction of contraception. Elvis Presley. What was the first Beatles song you ever heard? What was it like to go from black and white movies to color? The end of apartheid. The fall of the Berlin Wall. The constitutional crisis. This the disappearance of Harold Holt etc. There are so many things that you could write about from your perspective - I would find that all very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kam for your concern. Yes I do have some bad times but fortunately do not suffer depression in the true medical sense for which I am very grateful.
      I have taken your suggestion on board but I am sure historical events and the like would also be known by others but I've begun with my earliest important memory so will see how it goes.
      I am not sure I remember all that well many of the things you mentioned 'cos sometimes things just happen without them registering as memorable enough to remember where you were etc at the time.
      Thanks again for your helpful comment. xx

      Delete
  2. Research? I have no idea. If I knew how and what to research I could get a few blog ideas myself, I'm often stuck for ideas which is why I stick with the Sunday Selections and Whimsical Wednesdays.
    Kam above me here has a few suggestions you might want to look into.
    I'm just as behind as you with social media, more even, since I don't bother with Facebook at all. The little black and white squares annoy me too, they contain more information about the product advertised and can be accessed via i-phone. I'm not sure how and can't be bothered finding out. I don't have an i-phone anyway and don't take much notice of advertising.
    Perhaps you could research simple things such as vegetables, fruits, the history of the toilet, housing throughout the centuries, from a cave to a mansion? I've never been good at research, but you did really well with the flowers etc.
    Give yourself time to get out of the hole, read, nap, play with Candy, have an occasional lunch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I don't find research all that difficult now we have computers and Google. There is just so much information out there although at times you have to hunt a little.
      I had already thought vegetables so had started on that one and may give it a go and see if it is interesting enough.
      I am already digging my way upwards and should reach the top again soon. I never stay down for too long and with the encouragement I get from blogging friends how can I stay down for long anyway?

      Delete
  3. Hi Mimsie I always read your blog and am happy that you are still writing. My mum is 91 and is handwriting her history. My children are captivated by this totally different lifestyle. So I encourage you to keep writing as it is fascinating reading. I hope that you regain your spark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie for your kind comments and good wishes.
      I too am writing my history but cheating and using my computer to do it. I couldn't handwrite anyway as my hands are too painful. What would I do without this keyboard??
      The old spark is in there somewhere and hopefully will be firing again before too long.

      Delete
    2. 😊 I keep encouraging my mum too as this history will be lost if it is not shared. Well done x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've got yourself a case of the mulligrubs. Nasty things those.
    You need an idea to blog about........I remember reading a blog once where the woman challenged herself to post a photo a day...that can be done even if you never leave your property....a pretty dish, a shadow on the wall, a plant, your cat, the hubs hand, all kinds of things and then thoughts will generate about that item and away you go. Give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delores and I like your suggestion of a photo a day. How about we all try that. It could be so interesting. Maybe I'll begin that and see if it catches on. How do you go about beginning these 'memes' I think they are called. What a great idea.
      .....and I think mulligrubs a great description of how I've been feeling. Almost sounds like fun.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Just popped back to say G'day! Put the kettle on love &*> Hehe. Seriously, though, if you would like to try a linky bloggy hop thingy then THIS LINK is the easiest I have found. When you copy the code, switch to HTML at top left of your setup post page and paste the code in (usually at the bottom, but where ever you want). I only do one linky just now, the Tuesday post at the MENO blog called Less Speak More Peek. Of course the TAKE blog is all photos, one a day mostly and minimum words. TAKE TOO is only twice weekly and I use photos as prompts for creative writing.

      There you are; ideas are springing like wildflowers!! YAM xx

      Delete
  5. Oh Mimsie I will read anything you write I admire you so much. I have been where you are most writers I know have. Take care of yourself and don't worry so much about things that you cannot control, I know that is easy to say, I really do understand.
    A theme I will think about it and let you know. Take time to just take care of you, we want you to get your old self back, I know I have missed her. . Love B xoxo Lots of Hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buttons for your great and kind comment. My old self says she has to take it easy and come back gradually but of one thing you can be sure, he will be back with bells on.
      I know you have your own problems and deal with them very well so you are a shining example of how to keep going even when things in your life aren't going 100%. Thank you. xxx

      Delete
  6. I think you should start writing about your life. How things were as a child and growing up. Write about your parents and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia, nice to meet you and thank you for popping by and your comment.
      Actually I have blogged about me from when I was born up to about 1974 and even beyond so that has been done. I'm pretty sure I did also write a few items about mum, dad and my brother as well. I didn't know my grandparents personallyso have to give them a miss unfortunately as it would only be heresay.
      I do appreciate your kind thoughts though so thank you.

      Delete
  7. So many ideas from your caring commenters! All of them excellent. I can only add one from personal experience, let your physician know about these mood-symptoms; they can have physical causes. Mine did and correcting them saved my health. All my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Geo. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful blogging friends, including your dear self.
      I think my doctor is aware I have downs and it is probably caused by the ills Phil and I suffer. We both have type 2 diabetes, Phil has glaucoma and I have fibromyalgia and chronic osteo. Sometimes a combination of those things plus the vagaries of everyday life just add up and down I go.
      I am on the way up again and have begun to write, just for the sheer sake of it.
      Thanks for your kind wishes.

      Delete
  8. Hari OM
    G'day Mimsie - yes you were missed indeed, but am sorry to hear that it was not because you were gadding about the city or in the garden with Candy mewing up a storm... Geo could be on to something my dear; doldrums do hit us all, but if this is prolonged and especially if you have other symptoms (sleep out of kilter, headaches or such), it would definitely be worth a chat with the doc. Best that than missing something.

    Assuming 'simple' melancholia (is there such a thing YAM?!), then being more active, boosting with things like Cranberry and Pomegranate juices, tackling tasks which may have been lying for a while (that can be reading the books bought yet not opened for example)... make a list and start ticking it off, but make a pact with yourself that if not done today tomorrow is okay too.

    As to the blog; don't think of daily posting. As River says, two or three times a week can serve just as well - I have one favourite blogpal who only posts on Sundays (you may like a new read!). You have the same contemplative quality so this could work well for you.

    Another thing is to make up the Chronicle of Candy. I follow so many lovely pet blogs and this is another way to make some points from a different perspective.

    Then again Kam has some excellent ideas! We love you Mimsie and whatever you have, whenever you want to give it will always be welcome. Big hugs, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Button for your wonderful comments and kind thoughts. As explained above to Geo. I doubt there are serious problems causing the doldrums right now. I have sleep problems but more to do with aches and pains and I am fortunate to never have suffered from headaches. How lucky is that!
      I will go with the flow as and when I think of posting anything. Candy will sometimes come into it but she has settled down and apart from her nightly visit to the tap in the bathroom and her familiarity with the cat door there's probably not a great deal more to tell.
      I love you to Yam and it is lovely folk like yourself that cheer me onwards and upwards out of that deep hole. xxxx

      Delete
    2. ...yup 'Blogville' has it's own sense of community! Glad to read here the glimmers of brightness. Yxx

      Delete
  9. Oh Mimsie. Be kind to yourself. Sometimes life does get a bti overwhelming and that is usually (for me) a sign that I need to step away for a bit to regroup.
    Is there anything you always wished you knew more about? That could be a wonderful starting point for your research.
    And I, like everyone else, will happily read anything you write.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC for your support and kind comments.
      I have begun a memory sort of thing but I feel it could be boring as most people know about history.
      Vegetables was a thought and also suggested by River so that could be a goer.
      I will try to write something of interest not just to myself but to others as well. Here's hoping anyway.
      Thanks again. xx

      Delete
  10. Keep writing! I enjoyed your other blog Dear Mum & Dad very much, how about a family history? Life story? Just don't stop,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie and thanks for dropping by.
      I already have blogged with my life story so that's been done, well at least up till the 1980s and it's been pretty routine since then.
      I am gradually getting back to normal and I won't stop. I'm not sure if that's a promise or a threat....
      Again, thank you.

      Delete
  11. Mum, glad to see you back here, love some of the suggestions and 'you' in a historical sense would be good I'm thinking. Vegies, well maybe! I'm wondering if you could paraphrase Grandma's book. Like bits of the history of the CAB, Beehive, the Slow Learning Children's Group (now Activ) or the like. While those things can be found on the net, her perspective is interesting and you and I lived through being part of that with her, so there is a connection for the family members who read here as well? Just a thought. Keep your chin up and go talk to Ken, while you may not suffer from what you call real depression, I know that there are low dose meds that may give you a little lift. There is no shame in taking them as you do deal with a lot of pain on a daily basis and that in itself can pull you down. Love you to the moon and back xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there....just checked back and read your delightful comment and thank you so much for it.
    Your idea about papaphrasing parts of mum's book has merit but would take probably more research than using Google. It is though a grand idea for the future and I could make notes as I look through her book. Thanks for that idea.
    I am gradually coming back to the surface again as I am inspired by the many kind words and thoughts I've received here.
    Love you too (you'll never really know how much you mean to me). xxx

    ReplyDelete