Thursday, October 16, 2014

A PHOTO A DAY....number TWELVE

This is a photograph of my maternal (my birth mother) grandmother and great-grandmother both of whom I never met (nor for that matter did I ever meet my birth mother but we did become friends by telephone during the last few years of her life).  I am not sure when this photograph was taken but my grandmother looks very young so possibly in her twenties so ca 1902  It is obviously taken in a photographic studio.


On the left is my grandmother (I can see a likeness to my daughter in her face).  She was born Eda Matilda Larsen in Bundaberg, Queensland on 19.12.1880.  She arrived in Fremantle on the "Wollowra" on 13.1.1898 with her mother and two siblings.  She married my grandfather in St George's Cathedral, Perth on 26.3.1906.  They went on to have six children, 3 girls and then 3 boys.  I did get to meet two uncles and an aunt and also some cousins several years ago.  Eda died on 15.7.1964 in St Luke's Hospital, Subiaco.  I have visited her grave in Karrakatta Cemetery.

On the right is my great-grandmother.  She was born Marie Christine Larsen in Holbaek, Denmark on 18.5.1852.  She arrived in Queensland n the "Shakespear" in 1871 when she was 18.  She met and married Niels Peter Larsen (yes the same surname which is apparently a common surname in Denmark) in Queensland on 15.10.1875.  It would seem her first husband died but I can find no record of that event.  Marie married Bruno Schultz in New South Wales on 19.7.1886 and then with her 3 children there is a record of her arriving in Fremantle in 1898 (see above).  Marie died in Royal Perth Hospital on 28.4.1924.  I have also visited her grave but it is very old and possibly by now it has been removed as so many old graves in Karrakatta Cemetery have been.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Mimsie thank you for sharing this. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and glad you enjoyed this lovely photo. xx

      Delete
  2. Do the cemeteries keep records of the grave plots when they are moved? There is a grave in my great grandfathers family plot, the marker had sunk. The uncle and the cemetery aren't sure who it is, as there are glitches with the records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the cemeteries have records but as will everything there are sure to be mistakes made.
      My daughter and I went to visit the place where one of her ancestors was buried. It was 100 and altho' we found markers 99 and 101 there was no sign of 100. Just a patch of sandy ground.

      Delete
  3. Very stylish ladies. What a shame that markers get moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were.
      Markers themselves are not the only things that get moved, our main cemetery is now reusing a lot of the ground so graves themselves being removed and some headstones being placed in groups.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Ah those Danish genes are very strong and the family likeness remains!
    Love the old portraiture photos... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is certainly some family likeness. I was told I looked very much like my birth mother and yet I am unable to see the likeness in photos I have of her.
      Very few people these days have studio photos taken, probably far too expensive which is a pity.
      Perhaps Phil and I should have one taken to leave the family when we are gone. Just a thought. xx

      Delete
  5. They have such lovely faces, gentle yet strong. I'm intrigued by old photos, there is always one person sitting and one standing. I can see where you and Karen get your lovely bones.
    I have a photo showing five generations of us women. My grandmother, my mother, me, my daughter and her daughter, (my grand daughter aged five months) my grandma died soon after. She wasn't in the original photo, since she lived in Germany, but mum cut out a face from another photo and stuck it in like Grandma was looking out a window at us, then photographed that and sent it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have photos of 4 generations (females all) but had never thought to superimpose another face or two. What a brilliant idea your mum had to include that fifth generation in the photo and wonderful for you to have it to look at and admire from time to time.

      Delete