Sunday, October 12, 2014

A PHOTO A DAY.....number EIGHT (ca 1927)

Found this delightful photo when delving through iPhoto and had to share it with you.  It would have been taken ca 1927 in Meriden, Warwickshire (now known as the West Midlands).


Enjoying a hay ride here are Cyril (Phil's dad, prior to his marriage in 1929) with his sister-in-law Hilda (wife of his brother Charles) and little Mollie aged perhaps 2.  Mollie was born in June 1925 and that's how I determined it possibly would be 1927.

This is another snap emailed to us by Mollie's husband Leslie and I just love it so much.  Many folk may have been quite poor back then but it was still a wonderful life.  Whoa!  I wasn't born then  ... not for another 5 or so years and the world had to wait a couple more years for Phil to make his appearance.  We were still none of us very well off as that then was the time of the Great Depression.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE those smiles. Though I remember hay as being nasty itchy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so happy. Doubt I ever had a hay ride (or was too young to remember) but guess it could be a bit scratchy.

      Delete
  2. A very evocative photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read the words, I thought maybe the baby was you, but the hair is too blonde and not curly. Lovely photo, though I hope they are sitting on a blanket, hay can be prickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to EC, not remembering whether I had a hay ride I don't know but can imagine it would be scratchy.
      I just love the photo and how they look so free and easy.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Bucolic! I recalled the tale of the buried horse... then thought of Constable paintings... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constable always brings such country beauty to mind.
      How wonderful the world seemed to be back then. xx

      Delete
  5. What a time the Great Depression, lovely photo xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see photos taken before I was born. xx

      Delete