Sunday, October 5, 2014

SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAT MAY CATCH ON (I hope)

A couple of posts back Delores cheered me up no end and had a suggestion she thought I may like to follow up.  She had read of a blogger who had promised herself to show a photo a day with, I presume, just a few words to describe that photograph.

I have decided to see if I can keep that up and hopefully others may take up the challenge too and we can share photos we have that would otherwise not be shown, from somewhere in our archives.  It should only take a very few minutes, or one could cheat and do a few at a time and then pop in each day to publish them.

This photo was taken on 15th November, 1940, the day after the dreadful blitz that Coventry endured at the hand of the Luftwaffe.  It was by far the worst of all seventeen air raids on Coventry during World War 2.

If you enlarge this photo and look closely on the extreme left you will see a young woman walking towards the camera (threading her way through the column of men).  That young woman is Mollie McDonald, is now 89 and still living in the West Midlands.   She is my husband Phil's first cousin and we keep in touch via email and the occasional telephone call.  The above photo was emailed to me by Mollie's husband Leslie, who is now 93.

Phil, with his mum and dad, also ventured into the city after this raid to reassure themselves that friends and family had survived.  Fortunately everyone was OK.  Phil and his family lived 5 miles outside the city and Phil well remembers these air raids and the shrapnel bouncing off the roof of their cottage as well as bombs falling nearby.  He was nearly 11 at the time.

18 comments:

  1. WOW Mum, that is an amazing photo, really brings home the horror of war. I know that Pop has talked about this in the past. Maybe that could also be another theme, you could continue with his memories here as well. Thanks for sharing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried to comment yesterday but it didn't work but OK today.
      Yes the photos of the bombing are awesome, especially to people like us who've not seen the horrors of war firsthand.
      Pop's cousin Ray sent a DVD of it which is so sad to watch.
      I will try and continue on with more about Pop and his family as most I've written on here so far is more about me and my family. xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. It's sad to see that damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for paying a visit.
      Results of war are always sad and man never seems to learn.

      Delete
  3. I found her .....wow....those are the sort of memories that never fade I think. Really looking forward to this series Mimsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delores....the idea came from your good self to do a photo a day.
      I am sure Mollie still has vivid memories of that time as does Phil.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    that is amazing; one sees so many of these photos, but rarely can make a connection with them. Great choice! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was all very personal to Phil, Mollie and their families. Those memories just don't fade.
      Thanks for popping in again. xx

      Delete
  5. What an image. My mother spent nearly two days buried under a house that was bombed (in Birmingham I think) so this speaks loudly to me. Thanks Mimsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does bring it home to us what war is all about doesn't it?
      Glad your mum survived. I know an English lady who told us she was actually thrown out through the house window in a bomb explosion as a youngster in England. She too survived but so many didn't in many countries.

      Delete
  6. WOW, what an amazing photograph. It is truly a piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many similar photos from all around the different war zones, of that I'm sure.
      I guess it's the type of history we wish never had to be told.

      Delete
  7. Wow...I'm glad in my lifetime I've experienced a lot more really nice things, and nothing close to as horrendous as the folks lived through during those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were indeed trying times all around the world and still men fight each other regardless of the cost.

      Delete
  8. The devastation in those photos is awful to see, war is a horrible thing and now I hear we have Australian planes flying over whatever country it is, waiting to air attack if necessary or if ordered to. I don't want there to be another war, why must there be a war?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask the same question almost on a daily basis River. Why? Man has advanced so far over the centuries to end up constantly fighting and so much of it unnecessary from what I can see. People can't agree over religion and I find that a poor excuse to go to war but it's happened over the centuries or they are greedy and want more of everything. So sad.

      Delete
  9. WOW Mimsie I love Delores idea and so happy you found something to blog about. Mollie was a brave woman and I thank you for showing what people had to go through back then and appreciate all I have. HUGS HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buttons and I am thankful to Delores for this idea.
      You and I are fortunate to live in countries mainly untouched by modern warfare for which we must be ever thankful and hope it stays that way for future generations. xx

      Delete