Wednesday, October 22, 2014

PHOTO A DAY...number EIGHTEEN

A couple of days ago I spoke of my grandfather Percy Rockliff (1869-1958) (and always known as PR).  He was my adoptive mother's dad and in her book "Clock of Time' she writes quite a lot about him.  She said she felt he called himself PR as it is quite likely he did not like his given name of Percy and he had no second christian name.  Although she didn't see much of him when she was a child (that itself is another story) and never once she left the UK, I know she was very proud of him and the social work he had done.  In her book she included an extract from "Who's Who" as follows:

"ROCKLIFF, PERCY, O.B.E., F.S.S., F.F.I., F.C.I.I:  Past Chairman Insurance Committee for County of London; Past President Faculty of Insurance; Member of Consultative Council to Minister of Health; Vice-President Insurance Institute for London; Hon Secretary Joint Committee of Approved Societies; (Lloyd George's National Health Insurance); Member of Dental (Statutory) Council and Opthalmic Benefit Approved Committee; Executive Member Central Council for District Nursing; Joint Secretary National Insurance Benefit Society; Secretary of New Tabernacle and London & Country Approved Societies since 1912, until they were taken over by the State under the Beveridge Plan in about 1947/8; Secretary of the National Union of Holloway Friendly Societies Pooling Association and of the London & Counties Association of Approved Societies; Director of Dental Services Limited and Director of Supplies Limited; Parliamentary Agent National Union of Holloway Friendly Societies; Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society; First Worshipful Master of the House of Commons Freemasons Lodge - the "Welcome Lodge" in recognition of his work for the community.

CLUBS:  Royal Automobile & National Liberal.  He studied law, medicine and languages.  He dies in 1958 at the age of 89."

Apart from the OBE I have no idea what all the letters after his name stood for but were obviously important enough to be mentioned.   This is a picture of PR that was in mum's book and although it has not come out all that well I think it shows him quite clearly:


In more informal pictures he sent from England these shows PR enjoying himself at the beach on two different occasions, once alone and once with an acquaintance.  I love that first picture and don't you just love those stoney beaches they have in parts of the UK?  Unfortunately I have no idea just when these photographs were taken or sent to mum as I can't find the originals (these were also copied from her book):

These photographs were possibly taken at Eastbourne as that is where my grandfather's home was.

12 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Love the bathers!!! FCII is Fellow of Chartered Insurance Institute, which ties in with other details here. FSS I think has something to do with forensics - which would tie in with the medical study. FFI ... shall have to remain a mystery! ... Certainly did his bit, did PR. Perhaps it could be said that he was a pioneer in ...P(ublic) R(elations)!!!

    Hope you are going along okay Mimise. Thanks for bringing more history alive. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interpretations of the letters Yam. Much appreciated. He was quite a man was PR. I think mum told me he spoke 5 or 6 languages.
      I hope you will enjoy the next post about this very busy man
      I too thought the bathers rather special. xx

      Delete
  2. He looks a gentle peaceful old soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a man of great determination and not always a kindly one (at least not to his first wife and their daughters) although not physically cruel in any way.
      I do love his photographs.

      Delete
  3. Oh all those letters that is an exciting mystery which I am sure others can help you with. Love these old photos. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I have these old photos of different family members. It helps one get to know those you have never met much better although perhaps one cannot judge a book etc. xx

      Delete
  4. OBE ->XYZ; my goodness what a lot of letters! He's clearly distinguished himself in everything. quite the handsome man too.
    I think those stony beaches would be uncomfortable for walking and sitting on, much less lying on. A plus would be no sand in your bathers, but not enough reason for me to ever move to England. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, letters galore. I must take time to check them out if the information is available.
      I like the idea of no sand in one's bathers but the poor feet would suffer although through centuries of wear I guess the stones are quite smooth.
      I would move to England tomorrow just to get away from the heat but no, on second thoughts perhaps south island New Zealand.

      Delete
  5. P.S. your unknown bulb has been identified as Gladiolus carneus and I wrote the reply in the previous post comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that and I did acknowledge the result just now and am so grateful for your help in this regard.

      Delete
  6. What a peaceful, inviting man he was. I loved the facts of his life, and then to see him on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was a very strict man and possibly with himself as well. Love those beach pics. He seems to be so enjoying himself. With all the work he was involved in I would imagine he would need times to just relax (chill out? is that the expression they use these days?).

      Delete