Saturday, September 20, 2014

A RECORD I COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT

Excerpt from the news in Perth:

"PERTH has basked in its hottest September day on record - powering past the previous mark that has stood for nearly 100 years.

By 2.46pm the temperature in Perth had hit 34.2ºC -which was well past the expected maximum of 32ºC.

The old record had stood for 96 years - the mercury reached 32.7ºC on 30th September, 1918."

Now I'm all for setting new records but this type I can well and truly do without.  This is the middle of spring and if this is a taste of our summer then I am voting that we don't have summer here this year.   I just can't believe how hot I still feel and at 4.22p.m. it is still 26.7C in the city.

Fortunately we are promised a cool change but with it we may have thunderstorms which I hate.  I guess this causes somewhat of a dilemma for me.   I detest thunderstorms as much as I detest hot weather but for it to cool down I may have to put up with thunderstorms.  The rest of the weather report reads as follows:

"Rain, possibly heavy, and winds of 30-40km/h and gusts up to 60km/h will lash the city from 9am Sunday morning.

Typical spring weather is forecast for the rest of the week with highs of 20-21ºC in the metropolitan area."

Big sigh of relief and I'm hoping this very hot day is a one off for at least 3-4 months but that may be wistful thinking on my part.  Hopefully we will get the much needed rain and give the storms a miss.

Incidentally for those that still use fahrenheit 34.2ºC is 93.6ºF.


16 comments:

  1. Oh keep cool Mimsie it is cold here. 9c. A bit early for us but I think better than your hot hot days. Take care. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it was a one off but of course it was just a taste of what we are in for over 4 or 5 months which I am not looking forward to one little bit. xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you and cool breezes returned and it's still quite cool, thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. that sounds hideous....I hope it doesn't play like that all summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not unusual in Perth to have weeks an weeks above 30ºC so that was just a taste of what we will be in for before too long. Horrible thought!!!

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    ..aarrrrggglleeee.... I likes me some heat but woah! Too much too sudden. Here's to a cool down right enough. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was far too soon and right out of the blue. We did however have good rains afterwards and more this weekend is promised. xx

      Delete
  5. Noooooooo.
    I hope you get the rain, without the storm. And that the vile temperature was a one- off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a one off and rain arrived but no storm at our place fortunately. They promise more rain this weekend so here's hoping although I am going out with Karen tomorrow so don't want it too wet.

      Delete
  6. 34.2? that's swimming weather!
    Except it's too hot to go outside to get to a pool or beach.
    It's way too early in the year for that kind of heat. We only had 22 yesterday and 24 is expected today.
    I hope your thunderstorm isn't too bad, hoping for lots of rain with just a distant rumble here and there for you.
    I love thunderstorms myself! I've even been caught out in them in years past, walking home from work, and not minding the drenching at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No storms thanks goodness, not at our place anyway, but nice rain.
      I see you are having some warmish weather now but not quite as bad as our taste of summer was.

      Delete
  7. Sounds completely miserable to me. I'm a true Alaskan and very much like the cooler weather.

    We skyped with Karen during the heat, and just at her description of the weather, Beth was daydreaming. She apparently misses the sun very much. Especially now that we're hitting autumn, which translates to buckets and buckets of rain and little sun. Yuck!

    Hope you have some cooler spring days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen has probably told you the weather did cool down, quite remarkably so and we had more lovely rain.
      I don't know why I love cold (even wet) weather unless it is because of my ancestors who came from England, northern Scotland and Denmark. Must be in the genes. : )

      Delete
  8. Are you and Phil okay? Candy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OY! That's way too soon too hot. Let's hope it's simply an aberration and not an indication of the kind of summer you're going to have.

    ReplyDelete