Right on the dot of 8.30pm yesterday a polite young man rang our front doorbell. He was here to install new windows at the back of the house. Since we moved in here in May, 1974 I've been wanting to have louvres in two areas removed and replaced by sliding windows. It's one of those jobs that hasn't really needed doing as one set is in the enclosed back verandah and the other in my workroom/storeroom.
A couple of months back I decided to get quotes to have the job done, thought about it for a while, decided it was perhaps more than I wanted to pay (you have to watch your pennies on an age pension) but when the firm said I could pay it off over 4 months I decided to go ahead. I so glad I made that decision.
This is the two sets of louvres in my workroom. Now I can see why they need replacing!! Grotty.
There were four sets of louvres in the back verandah and these are the new windows that replaced them, complete with lockable security screens.
Now you are wondering why I haven't shown the new windows in my workroom. Reason is the louvres are still in place there. Although this room was the easier of the two to measure it was here there was a 100mm mistake made so back to the drawing board or, at least the workshops. That is why you can see the ladder outside. It's ours but it was easier for the young man to use it than bring his around from the front of the house. Time and motion there you see. Good thinking.
Phone call this afternoon to tell me that the nice young man will be back tomorrow morning at 8.30 to install the new windows in here for me. Another morning we will have to be up early.
I took the pic of the new windows through our bathroom window to fit them in and I notice there is a reflection from the wall of opposite of the fire extinquisher which we've had for years (a gift when we had our security system installed) and I wonder if it would still work if needed. I really must read the instructions about it!!!
Some nice light curtains should finish the job, perhaps net as don't want to stop the light too much. I have curtains that I made for my workroom (used to be Steve's bedroom) back in 1974. They were fully lined but when I washed them yesterday one of the linings became shredded. Not sure why as the other two were as good as ever. The lining were unbleached calico so strong enough. Anyway as no-one sleeps here now I may cut the lining off all three and just have the curtains which are on curtain rings so can be pulled back when required.
Now Phil has some small painting jobs to do just to make it all look neat and tidy. For larger painting jobs these days we need a painter as ladders are out as far as Phil is concerned. There is some painting needs doing so maybe that is next on my 'to do' list. Old homes do need maintenance from time to time but we like it here so here it is we are staying for as long as we can.
There are so many other jobs around the house that need doing to make it really nice but I guess I'll have to wait a while before considering them. This job cost me $2,720 which, these days, I thought quite reasonable and they have done a splendid job of fitting them into quite awkward spaces, well an almost splendid job except for that 100mm error. I would certainly recommend this firm to others.