Sunday, May 3, 2015

A WELL DESERVED AWARD

It would seem, on reflection, that mum omitted to include one very important event in her book.  As the family and all her friends and acquaintances felt it was a well deserved honour I felt I should mention it here.

On 13th June, 1970 by Royal Order Mrs Gertrude Winifred Ruston was awarded membership of the Order of the British Empire.  In other words mum was awarded the M.B.E. in recognition of her services to the community.


This was the invitation mum received from Government House in Perth to attend and receive her M.B.E. Medal.   As you will see she was allowed to have three people accompany her and Phil, Karen and I were so proud to be present to see this wonderful lady receive her award.  If I remember correctly, morning tea was served immediately after the presentations had all been made.

I have the large certificate sent from England and it is framed and hangs in our hall.  I also have the medal and the miniature.  They are kept safely along with the OBE medal and miniature that were awarded to PR (mum's dad). 

I always feel so proud that people in the family did so much good and their services were duly recognised.  Mum, dad, mum's sister Amy, mum's nephew Edward all received the MBE while grandfather (PR) received the OBE.

P.S. Even Government House secretaries can get it wrong sometimes as it was actually Hertha Place where mum lived and not Hertha Way.


9 comments:

  1. Definitely a well deserved award. An amazing family too. I wonder whether so many MBEs in the family is a record?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her family would all agree with you EC. They were a family of 'doers'. It is obvious I am not a chip off the old block. Wrong bloodline!!
      I am sure there are large families somewhere that have probably received far more awards.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh that is wonderful! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought so too. Thank Yam. xx

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      (sorry to do this via comments Mimsie, but your email doesn't come up when you comment at my place - some do, which is yet another mystery!) Not sure why you can't get links to work; have checked and they appear to be in order, but this IS the internet we are talking about (manic laughter behind keyboard)...

      Do try this link for Madi Cat which is the one I just know you would enjoy 'fur shure'.... Yxx

      'pee ess' to reach me by email, there is a contacts box at my site; that way no email addresses get public!!

      Delete
  3. An MBE!! Wow. Such a mother you had!
    A woman to be proud of for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice for her to be noticed wasn't it? Her very hard work over many years richly deserved some recognition.
      It amazed me how she omitted to mention it in her book and yet I am sure she was proud of her achievements as were we, her family.

      Delete
  4. She was very modest not to mention such an honour in her book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to go back and check but there was no mention of it anywhere which surprised me.

    ReplyDelete