Saturday, May 2, 2015

ANOTHER MOVE FOR MY MOTHER

Excerpt from 'THE CLOCK OF TIME' by Gertrude Ruston.  (pp 210-213)

"MOVE TO JOONDANNA VILLAGE

While living at my duplex at Innaloo I decided to become a resident of one of the aged person homes then being erected.  This would reliev e my family of anxiety.

The Churches of Christ, of whom I was a member, had commenced to build at Joondanna, not too far away, and within reasonable distance of Perth.  I made application for a  unit on the ground floor which would have garden space, and my former neighbour in Fitzgerald Street, Mrs May Michael, also decided to take a nearby unit.

I sold my duplex after living happily in it for over three years, planned my new unit in Joondanna, and moved in before the official opening day, thus being the first resident in the building.  (This is the front view of Joondanna Lodge.  Mum's unit was right down the back on the right hand side).

After eight and a half years I am sure my decision was the right one as we have our entire privacy, all the residents are very nice, and it is always possible to have company if one wishes.  We are fortunate in having many amenities which some of the other aged homes lack.

My garden is my joy to me, and I manage to keep it bright with flowers.  (This is a snap of mum's garden.   It was always full of pretty blooms and it was from here that I often left for home with a beautiful bunch of sweet peas.  I mentioned that in Dear Mum and Dad on mum's birthday 15th April.  You can see the front door and also the bedroom window.  Sorry about the colour but I don't think this was taken with my camera.  It was amongst mum's photos.).


As a Justice of the Peace I am able to help others in the village from time to time.

As a J.P. I was also sitting on the bench of the Married Women's Court when that was in operation, and it was from this address that I started Beehive Industries.

It was also when at this address I was nominated as Citizen of the Year.


(The unit was quite self-contained and consisted of a well equipped kitchen next to which was the dining area.  Partly divided off was the living room and there was a good sized bedroom and a separate large bathroom.  If mum wanted to she could shut off the sleeping area with a large folding 'door' which kept it nice and cosy in cooler weather.  After one of my stints in hospital I even stayed with her for a few days and slept on her large couch.   I had also done the same after being in hospital when mum was living in her duplex in Innaloo.  I think she felt she still needed to mother me even though I was by then middle-aged.  I know it made her happy so I went along with it and I must admit it was very pleasant there just being the two of us for those few days).

10 comments:

  1. How very sensible of her - and how lovely that she enjoyed it. I have missed these posts. When things calm down a little I will back-track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sensible was I think my mother's second name!! She was very independent throughout her life and no matter how much she did for others she never wished to be a burden on anyone.
      I do hope you will go back EC so you can read of mum's horrible 'accident' and how it affected the rest of her life.
      Hopefully everything is settling down in your home now.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    ..... had another wee smile to myself as the JP thing got mentioned almost as an aside... when did she go through the 'vetting' for that? ...then a casual 'got nominated...' and as ever, practical practical practical with regards the unit. It is lovely, too, that you have fond memories of the place Mimsie. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she didn't make a 'thing' of the JP business did she? There is something else she didn't bother mentioned as well which you will find out about in a day or two. Something I realised was not in her book.
      It was a lovely unit and we spent some happy times there with mum. It was a very wise choice on her part. xx

      Delete
    2. Hari om....which suggests the 'end draws near'... you have done a sterling job in recreating all this for us Mimsie!

      Here's another wee peek back for you... Yxx

      Delete
    3. No Yam, there is still more to come in future episodes. xx

      Delete
  3. I remember that photo of your mum's garden. It's about the same size as my little side patch, but a lot prettier. (I have to rip a few things out of mine, they're not doing well and I need a new plan there).
    I'm pleased that she was able to get a garden unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you may remember mum's little garden. It was a wonderful aspect for a garden as it got sun most of the day and in winter it had the warmth of the wall behind it. Mum always loved her gardens.
      Sometimes with gardens we have to heave everything out and renew the soil and begin again. I think, like us, it gets worn out. I am sure you will come up with something special soon.

      Delete
  4. No matter how old we get we are still our mother's child. Mothering comes with the territory :). Another lovely post, thank you Mimsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. It is a fact about mothering. No matter how old she is I still feel concern for the welfare of my daughter and, even though my mum has been gone 30 years, there are times I still wish I could experience her kind tenderness again when I am feeling poorly.

      Delete