Saturday, May 30, 2015

FINGERS CROSSED!!

Well, if I could cross my fingers, they would be crossed but I am crossing them figuratively, if not literally.

Friday morning at 11.30 a.m. I had an appointment with Dr Ken.   I asked him if he would give me a cortisone jab in my bad shoulder to which he agreed.   Mainly people say these injections are painful but Dr Ken is so skilled that there is very little discomfort, except just as the fluid goes into the joint.

No, this is not me, I remained fully dressed.  (*:*)


He injected this same shoulder with cortisone about 8-10 years ago when it was completely frozen and it worked like magic.   Can I hope for the same outcome again I wonder?

I asked him were there any rules and regulations about looking after the shoulder and he said just not to overdo it for a couple of days (as if I do anyway?) and after the injection the local anaesthetic should be easing the pain and tomorrow (today) the cortisone should be starting to work.

If last time the shoulder was completely frozen and this time it's only half frozen should that mean the injection will work twice as well?  One can only hope.

The shoulder still gave me trouble during the night and it is now just gone 9.30 a.m. and the magic has not yet kicked in as I had hoped but they say patience is a virtue.  I think I can feel some improvement so as I said above....fingers crossed!!

P.S.  I have just been reading up about frozen shoulders and apparently diabetics are 40% more likely to suffer the condition than 10% of the 'normal' population.  Just another good reason to try an avoid *diabetes like the plague.

They seem to think it is something to do with a type of collagen that possibly interacts with blood glucose causing the shoulder to 'tighten up'.  It seems me having the cortisone injection was a step in the right direction but so far (12 noon) not a lot of relief.

I think now it is back to Jenny (physiotherapist) (have an appt on Tuesday) for more massage and continue using the arm/shoulder as much as possible even if some pain as a result of doing so.

*Diabetes is one of those insidious diseased that causes problems to the body without one realising it so good blood sugar levels are imperative in an endeavour to keep those problems at bay for as long as possible.  Next year it will be 20 years since both Phil and I were diagnosed as Type 2 diabetics and now, of course, are both on insulin.  Obviously during those years some damage will have occurred but so far nothing too serious that we are very aware of.

9 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed that the cortisone does give you some relief. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope still reigns supreme but not much joy unfortunately.
      Thanks for your hopeful good wishes.

      Delete
  2. All my best wishes for speedy return of mobility and relief from pain. I had a cortisone cocktail shot into my foot 40 years ago and the pain moved out. It visits when it is in town but in another spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a cortisone jab in this same shoulder about 8 years back and it worked like a charm but not this time, or at least not so far.
      Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  3. I do hope you get some relief and more movement in your shoulder soon. Have my exercise tips been any help at all?
    I remember the cortisone injection I had, half in the front of the shoulder and half in the back, so very painful and no help at all. I think that doctor had no idea what he was doing. I eventually had a different treatment with an ultrasound to guide the needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still hoping beyond hope that it will work. I know it can sometimes take time.
      Dr Ken is very adept with these injections and last time it worked so well.
      He has so much experience working with the footballers that I have complete trust in him.
      I've had lots of these jabs in other areas under CT guidance, some of which worked well and others not at all. Those I had in my thumbs were useless but the space is so small we didn't hold out much hope.
      Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    everything metaphorically crossed at this end for your relief Mimsie! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yam and had hoped all these good wishes would help it work but so far, still hoping. xx

      Delete
  5. I have always been curious about the cortisone shot. Especially because you always hear about professional athletes getting them. Good luck with your race (and injury).
    Regards

    ReplyDelete