Wednesday, August 28, 2013

IT'S NOT ALWAYS GOOD TO BE RIGHT

As you probably know I have chronic osteo arthritis from head to toe (except for my elbows which so far are OK) but over the past months I've been feeling more sore and stiff and waking up feeling tired and during the first couple of hours of each day I've had difficulty moving about.  Sleep hasn't been as good as it was earlier in the year either which has been a worry.

Yesterday I had to visit my GP for repeat scripts (why I don't rattle is beyond me) and to ask about certain blood tests I have on a regular basis.  I decided to bite the bullet and tell him how sore my muscles were etc etc.  He asked questions and gave me the answer I had been anticipating.  "I am 100% sure you have FIBROMYALGIA but will do a couple of blood tests just to rule out anything else".  I will have them done on Friday morning (have to fast for the cholesterol one) and should have the results next week.  I always ask the doctors that I be sent a copy as well and then if everything is OK I don't have to go and worry the doctor again, plus I have records at home I can refer back to.

The doctor printed me out a page explaining what the symptoms of this fibromyalgia are with a diagram of the trigger points that are a sure indicator of the condition.  It seems if you have 11 of these 18 trigger points then that confirms the diagnosis.  Simple as that.  I have checked out several of them and yes, they are a tad touchy.  Ouch!!  I see my physiotherapist next Monday and will have her test these trigger points just to be sure I've done them properly.  JF does trigger point acupuncture so has a good working knowledge of exactly where they all are.


As the doctor said "It is not a life-threatening condition" which I of course knew as I had actually looked it up as I had suspected this was my problem.  He said he could give me mild anti-depressants which can help in some cases but we both decided I take enough drugs now so let's give that a miss.

It is a nuisance and I wish I didn't feel so weary all the time but I am determined to keep trying to do a little in the garden when I can and try not to feel too miserable about having another malady added to the list of those I already have.  Thank goodness I can still laugh as that doesn't take much effort and if you smile you use far less facial muscles than if you frown so not nearly so tiring.  : )

I hope you don't mind me sharing this information with you but unfortunately my close personal friends are no longer with us and it's nice to be able to share.  I am not complaining....just saying is all.

16 comments:

  1. Ah yes...the daughter has fibromyalgia....not pleasant. It seems with every passing year another ache is added to the layer doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. not pleasant but could be far worse. I am beginning to feel like one of those layer cakes but perhaps not quite so tasty!!

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh Mimisie, I may be a 1/4 century behind you in years, but I was given a body already old with such things (Rheum.Arth. since childhood... CFS came on in my 30s).. Have managed to have lots of good and mobile times, in spite of it all and like you I feel the best of medicines is the sense of humour.

    Mostly it doesn't help to moan - but knowing there's a listening ear, especially one which knows the experience, can relieve the burden.

    You blog it as much as you like. After all, it's only between ourselves.... &*>> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear of your afflictions which make mine seem so unimportant but I guess our individual pain is the one we feel and have to put up with no matter how mild or serious. Thanks for listening; it is so much appreciated.
      Keep the corners of the mouth turned up and not down and try and see the funny side to most things.
      Thanks again. xx

      Delete
  3. Dear Mimsie,
    We are sorry to hear about your latest aches and pains and wish we could help in some way. We enjoy reading your posts about the towns of Western Australia and you bring a smile to our faces so please do have a moan now and then and as Auntie Yam says we will be hear to listen.

    Love from Lady Vicki and her mum Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to you both for putting up with my grizzles. I began this blog a couple of years ago to keep me in touch with the outside world and I've met some wonderful friends who are ever so patient with me and my silliness.

      Delete
  4. OH Mimsie I have been battling Fibromyalgia for over ten years and I am so sorry you have this but now that you know you can deal with it.I do not take any thing for it now I have taken a few drugs but it did not work out for me but it works for others. Good luck my dear Mimsie I know what you are going through if you need to know anything I may know send me an email I will tell you all I can. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just discovered fibromyalgia is indeed fibrositis which I had a severe attack of when I was 22 back in 1954. It was so bad I was tested for polio as there was a polio epidemic around the globe that year. I would think it's always been there but has not flared up badly 60 years later. I am inactive because of the osteo and that could be part of my problem.
      Thanks for all you wrote above, it was very much appreciated. xx

      Delete
  5. Keep laughing that works wonders:) HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mimsie. I am so sorry that you were right. I have a friend with fibromyalgia and it is another of the unfriendly diseases. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is EC but nothing like your own personal health problem. As I've always said there is always someone worse off and in this case there definitely is. Thank you for 'listening' to my grizzles. You are one terrific friend. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Much love to you lovely Mimsie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. I am overwhelmed by everyone being so caring and appreciate you taking the time to 'listen' and respond. Thank you so much. xx

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear Mimsie, love and hugs to you xxxxx Rae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Rae it is just a damned nuisance and I guess it's the frustration of being unable to do so many things I once took for granted to hurts a lot too. Thanks for your good wishes. xxx

    ReplyDelete