Sunday, August 4, 2013

ALBANY..PART 2

I hope I am not boring you with my story about Albany but there are so many wonderful places in the area that I just had to share more of them with you.  Please bear with me.  I hope you will enjoy these beautiful pictures from Western Australian Traveller's Guide.com.

Attractions south-east of Albany...Frenchman Bay and Torndirrup Peninsula.

There is a lovely drive along Frenchman Bay Road right around to the far side of Princess Royal Harbour to the beautiful swimming beaches and spectacular view of the Vancouver and Flinders Peninsulas.  So many of the best and most well-known Albany attractions are in this area.

TORNDIRRUP NATIONAL PARK:  It is characterised by windswept coastal heath and amazing granite landforms edged by tall cliffs and wild surf, but also has a few beautiful white-sand beaches. Albany attractions within this Park include the Gap, Natural Bridge and the Blowholes.

The Albany Wind Farm:  There are 18 massive turbines perched 80m high above the sea and they can generate up to 75% of the city's electricity.  Walking paths lead right up to the base of the wind turbines and down to the sea cliffs:-


There is a boardwalk offering some spectacular views of the wild south coast and amazing sunsets.  A wooden staircase descends the cliffs beneath the wind farm and at the base is a rocky platform pounded by ferocious surf, and a few small patches of beach. The fishing here is excellent but king waves are extremely dangerous and fishermen have to be very careful.  A spectacular sunset:-


The Natural Bridge is an arch of granite beneath which large waves crash.  Along with the Gap, it's the most visited feature of the Torndirrup National Park:-

The Gap is only a short walk over the rocks from the Natural Bridge:-


The Gap, a narrow chasm in the tall sheer-sided cliffs is spectacular on a rough day (and even on a relatively calm day as well).  Big waves surge into the Gap and crash against the cliffs, sending water and spray high into the air:-


Cable Beach bears the full brunt of the Southern Ocean swells, so is usually a dangerous beach for swimming but a spectacular and spacious beach for long walks and fishing:-


Jimmy Newell's Harbour.  This pretty inlet must be the only calm sheltered place on the treacherous south coast.  It is an excellent place for fishing and I understand the place was named after a sailor named Jimmy Newell who sought refuge in this natural harbour during a severe storm:-


The Salmon Holes is a beautiful beach - peaceful and good swimming on a calm sunny day, dramatic with crashing waves on a rough windy day.  Once again king waves can be dangerous and care must be taken whether swimming or fishing:-


Bald Head and the Flinders Isthmus Walk trail:  Bald Head is the very end of Flinders Peninsula. It has a 16km-return walk trail from the Salmon Holes along the isthmus to Bald Head with intersting rocks to explore and spectacular ocean views.  Love the rainbow:


Whale World is a museum all about whales, whaling and, in particular the history of Albany's whaling industry.  It's location is the site of the old whaling station in King George Sound that ceased operating in 1978. Many of the original buildings and structures remain, including the Cheynes IV, a whaling ship:


Albany is a sub-region of the Great Southern region of Western Australia and has a Mediterranean climate with warm, dry summers; cool, wet winters and very pleasant springs and autumns in between. Summers sometimes have short spells of very hot weather, but the cool breezes off the Southern Ocean bring relief, especially during the nights.  The city is situated on what is promoted as the "Rainbow Coast" which is an appropriate title given the significant frequency of days with both sun and drizzle and showers.

There is much more I could show you and talk about but enough is enough.  One of our holidays in Albany years ago was with our three eldest granddaughters when they were quite young and in later years with #2 granddaughter and our #1 great-granddaughter.  So many, many happy memories.


10 comments:

  1. The natural bridge is amazing...don't think I could bring myself to walk across it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge is now closed to the public. If my memory serves me correctly some years ago there was a drowning here. Some of the waves are enormous and you could easily be swept away. Certainly not for me. lol

      Delete
  2. Simply gorgeous. I think I could walk across that bridge - but my heart would be in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my choice of entertainment EC; just enjoy watching the waves crashing through it. Very spectactular. There are paths set among the rocks and people are told to KEEP TO THE PATHS AT ALL TIMES. Gives you an idea of just how dangerous it can be on our south coast. It is all very beautiful isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Albany Wind Farm looks much like the turbines here in California at Altamont Pass. When I pass by them I think of Don Quixote. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess those turbines look the same world wide. I love them but many people don't for some reason. Perhaps they feel as Don Quixote did and want to charge at them.
      They are beautiful photos but as I acknowledged they weren't taken by me, more's the pity. I do have some great photos I took in Albany years ago but don't have the computer no how to transfer them to where I can then pop them on my blog.

      Delete
  4. Albany and its surrounding areas are now on my "to visit" list. I'm hoping there are bus tours to and from the places because I don't drive. I'd LOVE to stand on the rocks and photograph crashing waves. The last time I stood atop a windy cliff I had no camera.
    I love the sunset photo, the water looks like molten gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am sure you would simply love it. I could so easily live there if I didn't have the family here in Perth. In our state of health and because of our age it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. Sigh!!
      That sunset photo is very special isn't it? I actually have a photo of the same place but taken with a black and white film (gee, that was a long time ago) so no golden glow unfortunately. Was still a great pic though. : )

      Delete
  5. Last time we were in Albany we rented a town house, it was magic sitting on the balcony looking over the bay. xxx Rae

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. You can purchase a photo scanner from Harvey Norman, scan your photos onto a USB and then load them onto your computer. I did it for the family photos for a Power point I did for dad's 80th. I can't believe it was so easy. Now I am going to transfer photos of my girls so they will have an electronic copy of their life and growing up. I can show you. xxx Rae

    ReplyDelete