Sunday, August 18, 2013

IT'S ALL A MATTER OF TIME

This week Delores (Under the Porch Light) talked about time and also made the comment that she wondered why all the clocks in her home showed different times.


I was sitting pondering about this when my mind went back to my youth (I left home 6 months after my 21st birthday) and how my parents only ever had one clock in their home. It was quite a large alarm clock and I am trying to remember exactly what it looked like  I don't think it was one of those with the two bells on top (I owned one like that many years ago) but I do remember it had little legs and a handle on top.  I rather fancy it looked somewhat like the one on the right in this picture):


This of course made me think how many items we own these days that are duplicated.  Do we really need so many of everything?  I just counted up the number of 'things' in our home that would tell us the time if they were all going, which once they were.

There is of course the clock on the microwave and the clock on the kitchen wall (2 in that room).  The remote for the R/C airconditioner has a clock as does the TV and the DVD player.  We also have the clock on the mantelpiece MOH gave me for our 25th wedding anniversary.  That's 3 in the living room.

In the bedroom we have two small electronic alarm clocks (when we had a queen size bed we had a clock each on bedside cabinets.  Now we have twin beds the two clocks sit on the cabinet between the two beds.  It's easy to stretch out in the night, grab our own clock to check the time).   Also of course are our two watches plus two of my watches with flat batteries and two of MOH's with flat batteries.  I also have dad's old pocket watch and MOH has one an elderly gentleman gave him when he was a teenager.  That then is 10 timepieces in our bedroom.
In the spare bedroom both the VCR and old TV have clocks but are now unplugged as we don't use them.  Also in there is an old chiming clock that belonged to my mum.  It needs someone to get it going again....one day I hope.  So 3 time telling items in there.  We are seldom in there so don't need a clock in there.  Out here I have the time on my computer and also my airconditioner remote so 2 in here as well.  

I make that a total of 20 timepieces that are capable of telling us the time if they were in good condition (i.e. had batteries or were turned on).  All in all it would seem we actually have 11 that DO tell us the time if we need it.

Last week my watch battery died and I was so lost without it for the first couple of days but then I suddenly found myself just depending on clocks in the house or even guessing the time quite accurately.  I now have a new battery and am back to using my watch and not really using any of the clocks very much (except my bedside clock should I wake in the night).

We now only have one usable TV and/or DVD player so no duplication there.  We have only one microwave and one car and one cat.  I am beginning to feel that in this modern world we are way behind as, apart from time pieces, we don't have many duplicated items.

8 comments:

  1. I started wandering around counting timepieces to see how we stacked up with you...horrifying isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite unbelievable when you come to really think about it. Too much and too many of everything!!

      Delete
  2. This is an interesting post Mimsie. I love clocks always have, and I think it all started with the one my father's mother had on her wall. It was beautifully carved with two rearing wooden horses on each side, and I loved to hear it ticking as it was quite loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clocks certainly can be fascinating. I've seen some that are truly beautiful. The husband of a friend of mine made grandfather clocks and they were works of art.

      Delete
  3. I don't use the clock on my microwave or DVD player, not the TV either. The microwave is turned on only to use it, then turned off again and the DVD/TV clocks were never set. I have the time on my phone and computer, a bedside clock, a small clock on a shelf near the TV and a bigger kitchen clock on the wall. And my watch. That's it. I rarely look at any of them unless I'm planning on catching a bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the clock on our microwave is usually on 0 as we have difficulty setting it. I think, apart from my watch, it is only the wall clock in the kitchen and the little bedside clock in the bedroom that I use. It just fascinated me thinking about mum and dad with their one clock and the number of time pieces we have these days.
      I meant to mention that dad was in charge of their clock. He would bring it from the bedroom to the kitchen when he got up and then wind it up at 9pm each evening when he went to bed. After farming for 17 years down south he still got up early even after he retired and went to bed early.

      Delete
  4. Too many clocks here too. The oven has a clock, the microwave, the computer, the VCR, the set top box. And all of the rest.
    We have waaaaay too many things. Which require cleaning, dusting and/or maintaining. We do make work for ourselves don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we do make far too much work for ourselves. Not that I do a lot these days, but it's always there waiting. lol

    ReplyDelete