Sunday, January 8, 2017

SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT

Thinking about the 3 very hot days we had last week had me of course thinking about our Australian summers so I went seeking poetry of that ilk.  I found this little Austrlian poem which rather took my fancy.

EARLY SUMMER by Charles Harpur

"Tis the early summer season, when the skies are clear and blue;
When wide warm fields are glad with corn as green as ever grew,
And upland growths of wattles engolden all the view.

Oh! Is there conscious joyance in that heaven so clearly blue?
And is it a felt happiness that thus comes beating through
Great nature's mother heart, when the golden year is new?

When the woods are whitened over by the jolly cockatoo,
And swarm with birds as beautiful as ever gladdened through
The shining hours of time when the golden year was new?

I am definitely going to try and look at our hot summers through the eyes of a poet and perhaps I won't long for winter quite so much!

4 comments:

  1. I am still longing for winter. And yes, summer can be beautiful. If you don't have to go out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, like you EC, tend to wish my days away with this constant wanting cooler weather. I am sure summer has much beauty, as said in the poem, but as far as I am concerned summer is only good when I am indoors.

      Delete
  2. I don't think any poetry is going to help me appreciate the heat, but thoughts of cockies and colourful birds might, and summer fruits too. Like EC says, summer is okay if you don't have to go out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry can try and make up appreciate those dreadful hot days, and for a while it may do just that, but once you open your outside door there's only one place to be and that's back inside.

      Delete