Sunday, January 24, 2016

SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT No 9

"MY FATHER AS I RECALL HIM by Mary Dickens (daughter of Charles Dickens).

One evening we were all, except father, going to a ball, and when we started we left "the Master" and his cat in the drawing room together.  The Master was reading at a small table when suddenly the candle went out.  My father, who was much interested in his book. relighted the candle, stroked the cat, who was looking at him pathetically he noticed, and continued his reading.



A few minutes later, as the light became dim, he looked up just in time to see puss deliberately put out the candle with his paw, and then looking appealingly at him.  This second and unmistakeable hint was not disregarded and puss was given the petting he craved."

10 comments:

  1. I've never thought of Charles Dickens, (or any other of the older authors) a having family and pets. nice that he recognised that Puss needed a cuddle.
    I get that same look from Angel when I've been ignoring him or banishing him from the table while scheduling posts. The minute I push away the computer and clear a space, he's up at the table purring his little heart out while I scratch his belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we don't think of such folk being just humans as we are.
      Candy will sit and look up at me with sometimes a wee miaow and if I ask her what she wants she will often lead me to whatever it is. Sometimes she just likes company while she has a snack or its into the bathroom for a drink from the tap.

      Delete
  2. Hari om
    Demand for attention written as it could only be for a Dickens! YAMxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. Poor little kitty. They can convey their inner misery so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the kitty got what it wanted and I hope it didn't burn its paws.

      Delete
  4. Oh Mimsie this is such a cute story. Clever kitty:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the story and how that man must have loved his cat to put his book down as he did.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was rather sweet for both the cat and his owner.

      Delete