Friday, February 17, 2012

P.S. TO CHILDHOOD MEMORIES (4)

There is one small incident I had forgotten that occurred while we were living in Goderich Street opposite the school I was attending.

The students were going to the Premier Theatre to see Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney in Boys' Town. We were to walk to the theatre which was at least a mile or two from the school and in crocodile file which meant two girls abreast in a long line.

We were not allowed to go unless we were wearing our hat and gloves and our blazers.  Mum had been making me a blazer as we couldn't afford to buy one off the rack at Aherns (they sold all school clothing for Roman Catholic schools in and around Perth).  She had had the pocket embroidered with the school logo, had picked it up from the shop that morning and still had to sew it on by hand.

We were already lined up and almost ready to leave and I anxiously hoped that Mum would finish sewing on the pocket in time.  With about 2 minutes to spare Mum came rushing in the gate with the completed blazer so I was allowed to go with the rest of the students to see the picture.  This was one time when it really was fortunate we were living right opposite the school.

I don't know how many of you would have seen this film but it was, and still is, very wonderful.  Many of the girls, and the nuns, were seen shedding a tear while watching.  Did I shed a tear too?  Now, that would be telling wouldn't it?  I would only have been 6 or 7 years old so perhaps I don't remember about that, but I do remember the film as it made quite an impression on me.  I saw it again many years later and enjoyed it just as much as the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment