Friday, November 9, 2018

HELP TO ANSWER A SERIOUS QUESTION

Hi and I wonder who is out there today?  I have absented myself from my blog for 10 months or more and I feel no guilt about it one little bit.  I had blogged myself to a complete and utter standstill, so much so that I have not been following blogs that my blogging friends write, some so prolifically.

How is everyone?  Phil and I are still making an effort to hold our heads above water having recovered a couple of months back from an extremely bad chest/head cold.  Yes a cold, not flu as no aches and pains or temperature but just blocked heads and so much coughing.  Took us about 4 weeks to get over the cold itself and several weeks before we began to feel ourselves again.  I had two trips to the doctor and had steroids and antibiotics the first time and different antibiotics the second time with an additive of some type of acid.  Fortunately that seemed to do the trick.  Phil is on a low dose antibiotic every winter and that seemed to help him without having to see the doctor.

We are currently feeling a little isolated as FOUR members of our family are paying a visit to the U S of A, New Jersey to be precise or Pitman in NJ to be even more precise.  K and B and A and C flew out together last Friday to pay a visit to B and her partner K.  From what I've seen on Facebook A is particularly intrigued with the squirrels that inhabit the neighbourhood they are in and has taken videos of them.  K, like me, loves the autumn coloured leaves on the trees which we have so few of here in Perth.  She posted on Facebook a photo of the trees in the street where B and  live and the colours are glorious.

I mentioned a serious question I have to answer.  I have made 2 very serious decisions in my life and they both involved marriage and as most of you know I have been married twice.  I know I have had to make other quite difficult decisions but the one I have to make now is this:  my driver's licence is due in January and as most people know after you turn 80 you need to visit your GP where he tests your eyesight, your blood pressure and blood glucose (if you happen, like Phil and me) to be diabetics.

My paperwork has just arrived and although I've not driven for several years now I have always liked to have a current driver's licence in case of a real disaster when I would perhaps have to drive but it's also good to have identification with one's photo on it.  My GP has always signed me up as being capable of driving even though I tell him I've not driven much for some time.

Phil suggested I let my licence lapse as he has been our driver for some time and hopefully will continue to be so for some time to come.  I first drove a car when I was about 17 or 18 and then drove several times in the following 2 or 3 years.  When I married in 1953 I drove quite a lot and in 1954 I thought it time to get my driving licence.   Got it without a problem and have had it ever since without one demerit point which I am very proud of considering the amount of driving I used to do in heavy traffic to and from work for many years.

I had a few parking fines but they were only when I loaned my car to Phil or Karen.  Just hated the fines being in my name but that is in the long distant past and all forgotten by the three of us.  They by the way, paid the fines.

Your advice please.  Now approaching 87 is it time to be honest and say because my arthritis has gotten so bad I'd probably have trouble driving very far, except perhaps in a real emergency, and not renew said licence.  Please tell me what you would do in similar circumstances.  Yes or No.

It has been quite a wet winter in Perth and it has not been until this week that our weather has begun to warm up.  We have only just today begun to pop the sprinkler on in the garden and will probably have to do again next Tuesday and Friday as no rain in sight.  They are our 2 watering days although we can use hand held hoses to water pots and various spots in the garden.

The cooler weather has kept my frangipani very quiet and they are only just now beginning to get leaves.  I am hoping this warmer weather will spur them on and in a few months we will be enjoying some beautiful flowers again, similar to this one from last year:


12 comments:

  1. Good to see you back, Mimsie!

    I don't know how good of a driver you are, but when I was in my early 30's I rode with my Dad who was driving badly. Hard to tell him, right? I mean, how do you tell your Dad that? He was driving too close to other cars, like he could impatiently push them out of his way. He drove for years after that, but...but... If you feel you may need to stop driving, just stop. You have family to drive you and if you feel the slightest bit of concern, it may be a good thing. 87 is a triumph either way!

    My mom no longer drives. She is ten years younger than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Sand and lovely to hear from you. I would still be a good driver as I always was but it is my arthritis that concerns me. Phil fortunately is a careful driver and obeys the road rules but keeps up with what is going on around him. He doesn't crawl along as some older drivers do. I will consider what you said and thank you for your advice.

      Delete
  2. It is lovely to see you back. I do understand why you would like to keep your licence. However, if there was an emergency and you had to drive I doubt that the presence (or absence) of that bit of paper would make any difference.
    Perhaps next time you visit your doctor it would help to talk to him or her?
    Go with whatever suits you best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC. Not sure how long my stay will be but I am going to go with music again, just for fun, and take it from there. You are so right about what would happen in an emergency as common sense would take over regardless. I see Dr Ken in December so a chat would definitely be on the agenda plus my B12 shot. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. In such a situation I would let the licence lapse and not drive again. If you need photo ID you can get one, I have one, you just need proof of who you are and your driver's licence can be used as part of that proof. My old mother-in-law gave up driving at 85 when she had a small accident, just bumping into the side of another car with no injuries to anyone or damage to cars. But she realised she couldn't manage a car anymore.
    I'm glad to hear you are both well again and happy to hear Perth had a wet winter. How is Candy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River and thanks for your advice. Although the only crash I had was when my car was almost stationary and I was always proud I had no demerit points and I now thinking the right way to go is let the licence lapse. It could just be the pride I talked about that is holding me back and you know what they say "pride comes before a fall".
      Yes, we are both feeling pretty good or as good as can be expected at our age.
      Candy is fine and there may be a post soon about her and her 'illness' from which she is fully recovered. I hope Lola is also doing well. She looked very comfy in her bed in a recent post of yours. She is a lovely cat.

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    MIMSIE!!! I checked a couple of times to see if you were around, but no... then your comment appeared on my bloggy and I nearly cried. Have missed you darling.

    As to the licence; I am inclined to support the lapse. At this age now, if there is real need, taxi would be the way to go. "Emergency", one cannot help but feel, is more likely to involve other services. One of those hard facts we do, as you say to another, have to come to terms with. Having recently had a fall and breaking a wrist, this is a thing of direct experience! I also have a father of your age who has managed to convince his doctor to renew his licence - and we are all dismayed. The three new scratches on the car apparently appeared all of their own accord...

    It is not easy, and only you can make that final decision, but perhaps another way to look at this is make it your own decision and not one that has to be forced upon you. Does this even help at all???

    Luv ya. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yam and I feel so proud that you missed me. I just lost it for a while and hope I may have found IT again but no promises. I have yet to get around to visiting other blogs but will to do so when I can.
      Re the licence, I took in all you said and thoroughly agree with you and the decision has been made....not to renew.
      I am so sorry to read of broken wrist and hope it is on the mend. Would be a nuisance when trying to do even everyday things.
      Perhaps a word with your dad's doctor? If you dad only drives locally all could be OK but those scratches sound ominous.
      Luv ya too. xx

      Delete
  5. Hi, Just found your blog and it looks like my kind of reading. I'm in uk, but funnily enough my daughter is going to be visiting Perth at the end of Nov.
    As to your driving dilemma, I would say if you feel okay then keep driving, I would be lost if we didn't have the car.
    Look forward to reading more posts.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briony and great to meet you. My folks were English and so is my hubby (from near Coventry).
      I've not really driven for a while and as suggested in an emergency one would not think about whether or not one had a valid licence. My hubby still drives well, thank goodness.
      I hope your daughter is prepared for warm weather. It was 35C in Perth today and those in the know are forecasting a rather warmish summer in Oz.
      Will visit your blog ASAP and thanks. xx

      Delete
  6. Mimsie it's so good to hear from you!!!
    As for the license, I'd let it lapse....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be around for a while and hope all well with all of you.
      Decision definitely to let licence lapse and thanks for your advice.

      Delete