Saturday, September 16, 2017

A BIG DAY IN OUR LIVES

Fifty years ago Phil and I met at Trinity Church in Perth and exchanged wedding vows.  Today we celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary.

16th September, 1967, was a cool spring day and our good friends Eddie and Betty Simcock were our best man and bridesmaid, and my daughter Karen and son Steven were part of the wedding group.  My brother Len gave me away.  Afterwards we had a quiet lunch, organised by my wonderful mother, with family and friends before departing on a week's honeymoon touring the beautiful south-west of our state.

Today we are spending the day very quietly as we both have head colds so rest is the order of the weekend and probably most of next week.  Granddaughter C and her two children both have the flu' so the celebrations planned for today have been put on hold and hopefully, all being well, we will meet with family on Monday 25th (public holiday in Perth) for a belated celebration and Karen says she has arranged cakes etc for a lovely afternoon tea.

Having married in our mid to late 30s we were glad to celebrate our Silver W/Anniversary in 1992  and even then wondered if we would in fact see the new century arrive.  Well, we got through that event OK and here we still are going along, if not strongly, at least slowly and still happily.  We depend a lot on each other, me more on Phil physically than he on me, but I know each one of us would be lost without the other.

I can only say thank you to Phil for help making our life a good life. There have been so many happy times throughout these 50 past years.  My daughter and her family have helped to make it a complete life.  Without Karen our life would be so much the poorer.  I of course have regrets that my son decided to turn his back on all of us back in 2002 but I do know he and his family are doing well for which I am thankful.

This has been quite a big year for our family....great-granddaughter Jasmine was born in January, #2 granddaughter A had her 40th birthday in June, her daughter C celebrated her 21st earlier this month, and today it is our turn; on 24th of this month son Steven will be 60 and K and B will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary in November.

There have been a few medical issues of late but so far nothing too serious thank goodness.  I am hoping, as we continue to care for each other, we will still have some happy times to look forward to. Phil will be 88 in December and I will be 86 in January.  Just a couple of old fogies plodding along slowly but reasonably surely.


19 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Mimsie and Phil. What a grand achievement!
    Cheers, Karen in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your good wishes Karen and thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! How lovely to see a post from you and what an occasion, 50 years. Have a wonderful day and eat cake, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your good wishes. We will have some fruit cake for afternoon tea but on 25th there will be lots of cake, if everything goes to plan.

      I know I have been somewhat tardy re blogging of late but that's just how it goes sometimes. I had a quick peek at your blog and think Lola is beautiful and I sees she likes to drink from the tap. Candy prefers doing that to drinking from her bowls. She also loves to drink from a glass or cup and we have to be careful not to leave a glass of water unattended. Lola seems somewhat different in her temperament to Angel and I am sure you still long for the day when that little fellow turns up.

      Delete
    2. I certainly am still hoping for the big boy to come home. It's 13 weeks now.

      Delete
    3. We can only hope he has found a good home somewhere and is being well cared for.

      Delete
  3. A very, very happy anniversary to you and Phil.
    It is lovely to see a post from you, and even nicer to celebrate such a lovely occasion with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC for your wishes. I still hope to pop back occasionally but of late life seems to have me at its mercy. Too many things going on for me to concentrate on writing.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh my word - how lovely to 'see' you Mimsie and with this blessed news!!! Congratulations you two old lovers &*> here's to a few more years of joy for you. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yamini for your good wishes.
      A few more good years would be nice but we must never take those things for granted....can only hope. xx

      Delete
  5. All my best wishes and congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. Norma and I have been married only 47 years and I am beginning to think she is fond of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geo. your wishes appreciated.
      You could be right about Norma being fond of you. If not by now then what hope do you have? 47 years is a good innings. All the best to you both.

      Delete
  6. Happy Golden Anniversary, Mimsie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to you both! Have a most special day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon.
      It was a quiet day but looking forward to belated celebration with family (and cakes) on 25th.

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you both! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot.
      A quiet day but as said above, celebrations on hold till 25th which we are looking forward to although the weather has turned cold, windy and wet.

      Delete
  9. Nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete