Friday, November 21, 2014

WHERE ON EARTH DID IT GO?

Have you ever had something completely disappear?  Completely vanish?  I've occasionally mislaid an item only to remember shortly afterwards where I last saw it.  In this instance I have entirely lost a size 4.00 crochet hook.

How did it happen you ask?   Latish Wednesday afternoon I asked Phil to pop up to Godfreys re our vacuum cleaner.   As Candy was out in the garden I asked Phil to close the gate after he'd driven out.  I was sitting in the living room crocheting


and noticed he had driven off without shutting the gate.  I had bare feet so quickly popped my crochet on to the table next to my chair and went into the bedroom to put on a pair of shoes.

I grabbed my stick and walked up and closed the gate.  I've been feeling a tad livelier since my op and decided I'd sweep the front verandah.  This usually means a few sweeps of the broom, a sit down and a few more sweeps but I eventually get it done.   I then decided one of the chairs needed hosing down so did that as well and moved an old broken chair ready to be taken down the back yard.   While still out there Phil arrived back so I opened the gate for him to drive in and closed it again as Candy was still outside. 

Then I decided I'd hose part of the verandah down where I couldn't reach with the broom (no waste of water as the water runs into the garden) and we went into the house, had a cuppa and biscuit or two.

So, feeling proud of myself for having been able to do much more than usual, the day proceeded pretty much as usual until watching TV after dinner.   I grabbed for my crochet but NO HOOK!!  I searched through the box that held the finished squares, under the table and all round the area.  I checked in the bedroom in case I'd had the hook in my hand when I went for my shoes.  No sign of it.  Yesterday Jenny (our cleaning lady) came and when I told her she also looked as she was cleaning but still no hook.  Phil has moved both our chairs to no avail.  That hook is obviously is in that wonderful place 'somewhere".  ...and yes, I've searched down both sides of my armchair.

I knew I had a spare size 4.00 hook but as I'd not used it for many months (possibly years) it took me a full 24 hours to visually remember where I'd last seen it and lo and behold there it was.  I resumed crocheting last night and can now continue to make the rugs I give to Vinnys each year to do with as they please.  I don't mind if they give them to nursing homes or make a few dollars selling them.  It's a very small contribution on my part but it makes me feel I'm doing a tiny bit of good.  We also donate all unwanted clothing in good condition as well as a few household items we no longer need.

I know what I did outside has nothing to do with the lost hook but I just feel so pleased to have the energy to do a little more as for so long I seem to have been so weary.  It will be a slow progress but not feeling so tired is a big bonus even if there are no other improvements for a while.  I have no regrets about having had the parathyroid operation and it has healed so well and hardly any scar to speak of.

18 comments:

  1. Odd that something should go missing like that, when you put it down in plain sight, you expect it to still be there when you get back. Did it perhaps get caught on the edge of your clothing (dress?) and fall off outside somewhere?
    I very rarely lose anything, but recently lost my good watch, but I know what happened to it at least. It fell out through a hole in the pocket of my granny trolley somewhere between the city and home. I take it off and put it in there on hot days when my wrist gets sweaty, and I didn't know the hole was there until I got home that day. That lovely gold watch is gone for good.
    But I'm very pleased to hear of your renewed energy! it's wonderful to have a little bounce in your get-up-and-go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it is hidden in plain sight too but still unseen. I've checked all the likely places inside and out but fortunately have the spare.
      That's rotten luck about your watch. Have you advertised locally at all? You never know there may be an honest person who found your watch and would gladly return it to you.
      This energy comes and goes still but hopefully there will be a little more bounce each day. Not looking forward to our forecast of hot weather next week.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE hearing that your get up and go has returned. I suspect River is right about the whereabouts of your crochet hook.
    I am so sorry that her watch went missing that way. Sad.
    I have lost my marble rolling pin. And it has been lost for over ten years and I suspect it will never be found. We had our kitchen remodelled and everything was moved out. And the rolling pin never made it back. A mystery. An infuriating mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Energy levels unfortunately fluctuating but then I AM nearly 83 so can't expect to be 50 again.
      Yes that was bad luck for River to lose her good watch.
      I just remembered back in Mosman Park (over 40 year back) I had a lovely blue vase Phil has bought me and it disappeared and it must have been Mr Nobody as it never turned up. That is a real unsolved mystery.

      Delete
  3. I have heard speculation the the rings of Saturn are composed of lost household items. So glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo. I am sure your speculation is spot on. When the space age has advanced more there may be a fantastic garage sale held in those rings of Saturn.
      Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Heheh, I was thinking along the same lines as Geo. This sort of thing happens to me all the time.... crochet hooks are one of most often 'gone missing' so I actually have about three of each size; that's how bad it is round here!!!

    Quite often the missing will return and not at all where one expects, but every now and then the mystery remains. What is life without a little mystery after all? &*>

    I loved your description of your day Mimsie; I felt like I was there watching you! So good to feel one can do that bit more isn't it? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Sweet Mystery of Life was a beautiful song sung by Nelson Eddy with perhaps Jeanette MacDonald. I used to love their films and their music.
      I digress....life is full of mysteries of all kind which are usually resolved eventually thank goodness but still no sign of that hook.
      Still trying to do that one bit more but it's two steps ahead and one back much of the time.
      I am sure Geo. is right with his speculation. xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh sorry about your hook but it is wonderful to hear you are full of energy. It will turn up. HUG B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no hook and energy coming and going unfortunately. Today not so much. Tomorrow? Can only hope. xx

      Delete
  6. So glad you are feeling more lively. As to the hood, run you hand done between the side of your chair and the seat cushion. That's usually where things up on at our house. Oh...and if you find a stray sock in there as well, it's mine lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Delores. Have checked both sides of chair and under both chairs as well. It is definitely in that wonderful place 'somewhere'.
      Phil is the one who 'hides' all sorts of items in his chair and underneath it as well, sometimes including his car keys.

      Delete
  7. Things DO mysteriously disappear around our house, and have done so ever since we adopted our cats. Our innocent-looking little furballs are thieves! We've occasionally caught them in the act, dragging off combs, pencils, pens, jewelry, you name it, but too often, when things disappear, we never find them again. (Doesn't say too much for my housecleaning, does it? I mean, that stuff has got to be around here SOMEWHERE...) Sometimes, out of the blue, one of the cats will surprise me by returning one of their purloined treasures to the top of my bed pillow.

    But your crochet hook? Who knows? River could be right about it being in your yard. But I prefer Geo's explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cat Henry used to steal things and most of them ended up under our fridge. My daughter also has a cat that purloins what he can find including her granddaughter's small toys.
      Our new cat Candy hops up on the bench, find a plastic bag and bring it to us. We've not worked that one out yet.
      I too think Geo. may be spot on. What an imagination that man has.

      Delete
  8. I'm betting my money on Candy, more than one cat of ours has been a stealer of goods, and Monty is carrying on the tradition (as you state above). Good thing you had a spare. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am sure Candy is not the culprit. She only purloins plastic bags and presents them to us as gifts.
      I am sure it will turn up one day when we've forgotten all about it and then we'll wonder where it came from.

      Delete
  9. isn't it wonderful Mimsie that you are progressing so well since the op!
    Mm, regarding the crochet hook, sounds like a case for Hercule Poirot to me!
    Enjoy your weekend dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things are going quite well although had a bit of a setback yesterday but all well again today.
      I think a good detective is definitely needed to solve the riddle of the missing crochet hook.
      Thank you and hope your weekend has been a good one too.

      Delete