Monday, December 2, 2013

DON'T STORES WANT THE ELDERLY TO SHOP ANY MORE?

Today is my wonderful husband's 84th birthday.  Yesterday we had the family here to share afternoon tea and help him celebrate another milestone in his life.  It was great to have them together again as we don't see them nearly often enough.  Easy for us to say; we are retired but they are not and we do understand how busy their lives are.  It's just we love them all so much and do miss them.


We had eaten far too many calories yesterday so instead of going out for a large meal we settled for just a quiche and salad at a cafe in nearby shopping centre.  It was one of the most delicious quiches we'd had for a long time so it was a good choice.


We had some shopping to do for our great-grandies and I took my walker with me so I could spend some time on my feet.  Unfortunately I took the wrong one (the one without the seat) so after about half an hour I just needed to sit down and there was not one seat in the store nor even one just outside in the arcade either.  I could have walked right to the other end of the shop and pretended to be trying on shoes but there are only a couple of tiny seats in the shoe section anyway and I doubt I would have made the distance.  Would it be too much trouble just to have perhaps 2 or 3 of these seats available for the elderly who do still love to go to the shops occasionally or is it all just about making money these days?


I spoke to the lovely lady at the entrance to Kmart, while Phil went to the checkout, and she agreed with me.  My comment to her was that if they supplied seats then people might sit down instead of spending money.  I feel she understood just what I was saying.  Sounds cynical I know but many years ago there was always an odd seat dotted around for the convenience of shoppers. I must admit Big W does have a couple of seats available but still not nearly enough.  They don't take up all that much room if strategically placed.

Next time I will take my larger walker that does have a seat but it takes up more room which is a nuisance when trying to squeeze through narrow aisles when other people are looking at goods on the shelves.  Using the larger one though, I can find a quiet corner and sit for a few moments to allow the aches and pains to subside which enables me to spend longer time shopping.

I do have to acknowledge how patient Phil is with me.  I know without him I would never manage. He got me into the car and knowing how much I was hurting when we arrived home he had me sit down and put my feet up while he made me a cuppa and we had a piece of cream sponge each (I still don't know why I bought so much for afternoon tea yesterday but you always like to feel there is more rather than less when you have visitors...well you do don't you?).  We'd not really had much carb in our lunch and sponge cake is not a real no-no and it does taste yummy and waste not, want not and all that jazz. Well that's our excuse anyway!!

Phil had a sleep in his recliner while I lay down on my bed but just for a rest as for some reason I cannot sleep during the day.  He is now preparing an easy dinner for us and then we will watch a film that arrived today from JBs.  It's called the Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.  It's supposed to be funny so hopefully we will enjoy a good laugh together to end the day and it does have subtitles for the hard of hearing.....always have to remember that.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Happy Birthday to your darling husband. You are going to love the bucket list it is a great movie.
    I agree they should have more seats like that bench around for the older shoppers. We do not have too many here either. Take care. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buttons...have passed on your greetings.
      We didn't watch the movie after all as we were both too tired so something to still look forward to. x

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to the hubs....and you will enjoy that movie but be prepared to do some crying as well as laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delores...message passed on to the worthy one and when I eventually do watch that movie I'll make sure I have a hanky nearby.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om and HAPPY BIRTHDY HUBBY!!
    Hugs, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. And most of the seats provided here are too low for me and difficult to get out of. So I lean against a wall. So elegant.
    Happy birthday to Phil - and I am so glad that you did have the family get together. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree and I find some seats a tad difficult to get out of too. Went to BigW yesterday and their one and only seat was missing. Had to make room for more Christmas goods. Was glad I had my seated walker with me so could have several rests between searching for children's gifts (we were lucky to find all on our list).
      Thanks for birthday greetings. Phil was quite overwhelmed at everyone's kindness. Facebook friends of mine also sent greetings so it was a happy day for him.

      Delete
  5. I agree there aren't enough seats around the stores these days, when I fist started at the Norwood Coles there were three, now there is one which is often shoved out the back of the store to make room for some display or other. We have new seats in Rundle Mall now too, but they are just box benches with no backs to them, not at all comfortable.
    I'm planning on making a sponge cake myself later today, must go to the dentist first, I have a dozen fresh eggs from my daughter's chooks, a sponge from them is always yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those fresh eggs will make a wonderful sponge cake. I still think they are one of the nicest cakes you can eat especially when sandwiched with jam and fresh cream. Yum.
      There is a HUGE shopping centre which they are making even bigger a few km from us and they do have lots of seating. You need it as you almost need a cut lunch if you are going to tour the whole area. Trouble is some are placed directly where the sun shines through which is good in winter but definitely not in summer.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks...have passed on your greeting to him.

      Delete
  7. I to am always looking for seats to rest even just for a moment to organise your parcels, Happy Birthday, glad to see you are both getting out and about. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gateways seem to have a reasonably amount of seating but it so big (and growing bigger I believe) that one needs to rest from time to time.
      Paying for it today as we were out and about yesterday too. Still pottering about though and getting a few chores done.
      Thanks for birthday wishes which have been duly passed on. xxxx

      Delete
  8. Birthday wishes to Phil a bit late as I was catching up on blog reading and see I missed the actual date, but then birthdays are celebrated all year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much and I will pass on your wishes. He is now in his 85th year so probably a good idea to keep celebrating. lol
    I am far behind with my blog reading as well so do forgive me if I've not visited for a while. I promise to catch up...eventually. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated birthday best wishes to your husband, Mimsie. And though I am 20 years his junior, I concur with your views on seating for those of us who by age or caducity need to sit sometimes. My best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete