Saturday, May 15, 2010

POETRY THAT I FIND ENJOYABLE

My dear other half belongs to a small group called "Dead Poet's Society" and they meet once a month at the Senior Cit's Centre near us. I have been using the internret to find poetry that may be suitable for each monthly theme they choose and it has had me thinking more about poetry than ever before in my life.

There is a poem "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth that I have always particularly liked. Is it because yellow is my favourite colour, that I love flowers or just that I am lonely at times and often daydream? I am not sure of the reason but I am going to share the poem with you; it is possibly one that you first read at school, I know I did.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle in the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay;
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed - and gazed- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills
And dances with the daffodils.

I wonder if this poem appeals to others as much as it does to me? Do you perhaps have a favourite poem.

If I knew how to add pics to this blog I would show a beautiful picture of a field of daffodils in full bloom but, alas, I an not adept enough with computers to do so.

Jocund = cheerful, merry

No comments:

Post a Comment