Saturday, February 28, 2015

MY PREJUDICES ARE SHOWING

This is something that has been annoying me for some time now and I just had to get it off my chest.  I know it is my own personal taste but I still think a man should either grow a moustache, or a moustache and beard, or darned well shave when he is going out.   I have nothing against a chap perhaps not shaving over the weekend when he is at home to give his facial skin a rest from the razor but otherwise....shave.

I have grabbed a couple of pics from Google and have no idea who these men are but here is one beautifully dressed, perhaps for a night out, but I think the total effect is spoilt because he's not shaved:

Here is an older unshaven man and I think he looks downright grubby.  OK, maybe he is retired and doesn't want to go through the daily grind of shaving but surely, if he is going out, he will shave.  Seems though that he hasn't as he appears to be out and about...somewhere.


It appears I am in the minority as surveys seems to show many women find unshaven men sexy and attractive.  Where does that leave me I wonder?  Just being an old fuddy duddy as usual?

Now when it comes to nice neat beards I have no problem.  For some years Phil wore a beard and moustache and I thought it suited him.  He got tired of it so he shaves most days, and always when he is going out.  With him it doesn't matter a lot as he is fair and even two days growth doesn't show much.  My son-in-law grew his moustache and beard at the same time as Phil and has kept his and I think it really suits him, but it is a proper beard and moustache.  The last time I saw my son he too had a beard which looked good.  I wonder if he still has it?

OK, perhaps I've opened a can of worms but I would honestly like to hear the opinion of other ladies, both young and older.  Do you think unshaven men are sexy and attractive?  Do you really enjoy the roughness of a day or two's growth of whiskers against your skin?  Please do let me know what you think.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Mimsie, I haven't been by in a while, but what a fun post to come back to! All I can say is don't come near me (to the man hahaha) and I think the day old shadow looks very sexy (on some men) but only if they keep the neck shaved and clean, and, have a fabulous hair cut! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying Rose. I could perhaps just forgive Hugh Jackman the unshaved look although I think he looks better with a proper beard. LOL

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    ....well Mimsie... you picked firstly a rather sexy Scottish actor called Gerard Butler. He does get away with the 'designer stubble' on occasion. Overall though, I totally agree!!! I just gave my father (who I am nursing through the influenza at the moment) a full barber shave because he DEFINITELY can't carry off the stubble look!!!

    Further to the post regarding the Shady Lady, I have tracked down and watched the film you mention and shared it with dad last night; we so thouroughly enjoyed it and then I showed him the photo of Len on your post... what an amazing feat. So glad to have learned more and with such personal interest!!! Hugs, YAM xx

    Oh, a bit of a 'PS'. you may enjoy this post as it has a feline focus!!! Yxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..another PS!... have been following my nose all over the history threads on Shady Lady and other such things (I did say it was a particular interest to me!).. thought this may interest you... Yxx

      Delete
    2. I had no idea Yam that I had picked a celebrity altho' I will admit he's quite a good looking chap. Would still prefer he had a proper beard rather than the whiskery look.
      Sorry to hear your poor dad is suffering from the 'flu. I hope you don't succumb to the dreaded lurgy. You are wonderful caring for him the way you do.
      I checked out 'this' you highlighted and was surprised to read that Len didn't get any photos over the raid area. He did have photos of of the oilfields on fire. I remember seeing them when I was a child and I know mum had copies of the photos as well as the Shady Lady on the salt pan. I must check to see if I happen to have them.
      I do remember in the movie one of the crew saying "Ruston hasn't got the photos he wanted" but the pilot wouldn't risk another run over the target area. I took it to mean that Len would like more photos. All a little intriguing. Where would Len have the photos from if he'd not taken them? xx

      Delete
    3. Hari OM
      Oh yes, in the film there was a sense that all the photos required had not been obtained - though some certainly had, just not exactly suitable for purpose it seems. There were several other similar raids and of course there was Darwin...so a possibility that the photos in your possession may have been of other operations? In the film it was clear that SOME had been taken. I'd be fascinated to see if you manage to find them........ YAM xx

      Delete
  3. Ever since the hubs retired he has been pretty 'grubby' looking himself. He rarely shaves now. I can't stand facial hair myself...stubble, beards, mustaches...no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit Phil is a bit fussy but will occasionally go a day or even two but not when he's going out even to the shops.
      I do prefer clean shaven but will tolerate a beard if it is a neat one but detest those men who grow little strips of hair. They must be very vain and stand in front of their mirror for simply ages.

      Delete
  4. The skinny one has had a beard (except for a hospital produced interlude) for as long as I have known him. I don't like them. Sigh. I prefer them to designer stubble though. Yet another of the 'fashionable' things I simply don't get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC, great to have you visit. Hope things are improving for you.
      I am glad Phil eventually denuded himself of his beard and yet I like s-i-law's beard and my son did look quite smart with his.
      I I guess I have to say that if I had a choice of the three 'fashionable' things I'd prefer the unshaven look to piercings and tattoes.

      Delete
  5. I have to say it Mimsie, I am not a fan of this 'in' look. Like you I have nothing against facial hair and understand it can improve a person's look in some cases, but this inbetween stubble, no thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise I somewhat expected this would be your response. Is perhaps the 'Englishness' in us? My dad always shaved regularly and so did my brother and they were both poms from way back.

      Delete
  6. It depends on whether or not the "unshaven" area is neatly trimmed, like a very short beard or like a man who is beginning to grow a beard. If the hair is kept neatly shaped, it can look quite nice. Scruffy and sticking out all over like that older man you have pictured is just awful.
    My first husband had a beard and moustache most of the time, second hubby grew a b and m now and again but shaved it off more often, he preferred the clean shaven look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too don't mind a shortish beard if it is kept neat. It can quite improve the looks of some men and, of course, is they are in the process of growing a beard they have to tolerate that scruffy looks for several days. Phil always complained the whiskers in the corners of his mouth used to annoy him so off they went very quickly.

    ReplyDelete