Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SOMETHING DIFFERENT (FOR ME ANYWAY) A-Z #1+2 A + B

This has quite possibly been done by others before me and will probably be done by others after me.  It was just an idea that came to me today so here goes.  I will go through the alphabet letter by letter and try to think of 'things' beginning with each letter which are, or have been, important in my life.

A is for APPLE.

As we know it is said an apple a day keeps the doctor away.  Recently I heard that research has shown that TWO apples a day is even better.  Best times to eat them are at 10a.m. and 4p.m. (depending I guess on what time of the day you have breakfast and your other meals) so there's a tip to keep you healthy and remember when buying apples always make sure the stalks are a greenish colour and not brown and dry.  You will know then that they are this season's apples.

A is also for AJ, our much loved third great-granddaughter who is nearly a year old.  Had to include her as she is such an important part of our life.



B is for BIRD

I love birds and so envy the way they can fly so easily, except perhaps for the emu and ostrich.  These two galahs are so beautiful.  They are cheeky birds and can be so much fun to watch swinging on branches and generally being clowns.  There was a pair breeding in a tree near our local post office a year or two back but I've not seen them this past year so perhaps they have moved on to pastures greener.

There are so many beautiful birds around the world and some of our Australian birds are very colourful although perhaps not so gifted with song as are their European cousins.

We have a large cage with about 30 finches of different colours ranging from white to brown/grey.  They have all been born in captivity and seem to be quite happy in their little world.  We get a few babies now and again so the number remains quite constant all the time.

B is also for BROTHER of which I had one half-brother (Len) who was born in 1911 (20 years my senior) and a half-brother (Darrell) that I only discovered in the 1990s.  He was born in 1946 so is 14 years my junior.  Len was wonderful to me when I was a youngster and I was sad when he died in 1986 and Darrell has been good to me but unfortunately I see very little of him as he lives in the country.

9 comments:

  1. You should join the A to Z challenge run by Arlee Bird. It starts in April. I've done it a couple of years running and it can be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about that as I'm probably not consistent enough and not fully conversant with how those things work. Perhaps just go along my merry way as long as I can find something for each letter. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Buttons....hope I can keep it up with the other 24 letters. lol

      Delete
  3. Doing an A-Z is a great way to get something posted every day or week. I'm a big apple fan, I used to eat two a day, but now only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought exactly that River. I sometimes lose the urge to write and in this way I'll get back into the swing of it and have fun doing it. I should eat more fruit but try to keep the calories at a minimum if I can so fruit is often forgotten.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, what Arleen said! You've already got the first two posts ready to go if you join the A-Z. I'm not gonna do it this year, but if you're planning on writing alphabetical posts anyway, this blogfest would be a natural for you. (Lets you meet a lot of new people, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing the A to Z would be wonderful for you - and for me, because I would love to read your posts. And I do like your A's and B's. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC and I am hoping you will enjoy "C" too. Truly hope I can find something of interest for each letter yet to come.

      Delete