Saturday, March 30, 2013

A-Z #14 (N)

N is for NOTHING because I couldn't think of anything but also for NOBODY and NONSENSE

Here's just a wee bit of nonsense about nobody.  A poem which I am sure you've all heard many times.


The other night upon the stair I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today; oh how I wish he'd go away.
When I came home last night at three the man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall I couldn't see him there at all
Go away! Oh go away and don't come back any more
Go away! Oh go away and please don't slam the door (slam!)
The other night upon the stair I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today; oh how I wish he'd go away.

It's always good to have a bit of nonsense in our lives; something to laugh about.  Life then is never dull  or full of nothingness.  To have nothing in our lives would be dreadful.

Speaking of which this story comes to mind.  There is a chap that my other half worked with many years ago at the State Housing Commission.  Gerard calls in to see us every Christmas and presents us with a bottle of wine.  This week he popped in for a cuppa (he is now with the Mines Dept and was out on work business near us so this was his tea break) and kindly left us a box of Roses chocolates for Easter.  MOH tells how Gerard would suddenly jump onto his desk in the office, raise his arms and ask "WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?"  He's like that is Gerard.....an avid reader and a very deep thinker who I feel sees many of us going about our daily lives without ever questioning why we do it.  When I visualise him doing that it really does make me laugh.   Just a bit more delightful nonsense from a dear friend of ours but when you really think about it, it's a very valid question.

4 comments:

  1. Another wonderfull post. N is for nice one Mimsie. Thank you.
    I am a fan of nonsense rhymes myself, and have quite a few tucked away in my memory.
    'There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in
    But they are ever so small and that's why rain's thin.' (Spike Milligan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you EC for your compliments. It is only my blogging friends that encourage me to keep on with my nonsense so thank you for that.
    We have a couple of Spike's books here and it does one good to occasionally pick up one of them to relax and have a chuckle. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I had the nerve to do things like jumping on my desk and asking "What's it all about" but I'm afraid my coworkers all thought I was batty enough without doing something like that. Gerard sounds like a terrific person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Gerard is really great. He lives alone with his beautiful golden retriever (in fact he has had 3 of them). He is a Vietnamese veteran and a man with whom you can converse about any subject without prejudice. He is just so interesting. I wonder if we shall ever received an answer to the question Gerard (and many of us) asked?

    ReplyDelete