Friday, March 8, 2013

A WOMAN TO BE PROUD OF

I am just here for a few minutes today as it's been a very busy week (medically in particular) but all is well.

The main reason I am here is because it is International Women's Day and on the radio today they were asking people who they felt were inspirational women.  I could think of many women who I felt belonged in that category (2 in particular are Drs Fiona Stanley and Fiona Wood right here in Perth, plus many others) and then I realised that if any woman was an inspiration it was my (adopted) Mum.

Not only did she go without herself to give me a good schooling, a 21st birthday party and a nice wedding (with dad's help of course) but in later life she did so much in social welfare in the community that she received the MBE.  I know I have spoken of mum prior to this so won't go into more detail but I have just found a very good article about her which, if anyone is interested, they will find at:

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/ruston-gertrude-winifred-14186

As is often the case there are a couple of very minor discrepancies but they in no way detract from this story of what was a very productive life.   I hope you may just take a moment or two to check out the above website and enjoy reading about my inspirational mum.

11 comments:

  1. What a life! What a woman - that certainly is someone to be proud of Mimsie, lucky you - and everyone who was touched by her x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes PPMJ...like all of us she had her faults but she did so much good during her long life that we tend to overlook the fact that she was merely human. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing woman Mimsie. You must be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, she had determination to succeed in all she did. She very nearly died when she was hit by a car crossing the road near her home when in her early 70s (7 months in hospital) but even after that she started Beehive Industries which is still going well today. All the family are proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother was a remarkable woman. And yours is the only other blog I've come across that mentioned International Women's Day. (I did, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment re my mum. International Women's Day was made much of on the radio station I listen to daily. I of course popped over to visit your blog and found it just so wonderful. There are and have been many remarkable women through the ages and I've always been proud to think my mum came under that category.

      Delete
    2. I don't think any of us can ask for more than that our daughters think that highly of us.

      Delete
    3. I feel (hope) that my own daughter feels I've done a reasonably good job as a mother and grandmother and one cannot ask for more than that.

      Delete
  6. No wonder you are proud of her. What a woman - overcoming significant adversity and STILL contributing (lots) to the community. Wow, wow, and wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes she certainly had her bad days but I think the good days far outnumbered them. She actually had a two part life....wife and mother to begin with and than social worker in the latter half. She found her niche in that world and did so much good. Glad you enjoyed her story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I just came back from reading about your Mother she was an amazing woman, to help everyone and it is obvious she was a very intelligent woman. I am sure you are so proud of her as you should be.
    My Mom is almost 85 and lives alone with Alzeheimer's and she is much like your Mom always thinking of others and "smart as a whip" my Grandmother used to say.
    I think we are very lucky to have such inspiring Moms. Love your love for your Mom. Hug B

    ReplyDelete