Wednesday, October 29, 2014

THE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE

I saw my surgeon on Monday (gee, he's really great, answers any questions you ask and explains everything so well) and he told us (Phil always comes with me to medical appointments) that the CT scan showed I have what seems to be an adenoma on one of my parathyroid glands on the left side.  This is more or less what it would look like:


The glands themselves are tiny, about the size of a lentil seed and in some cases there can be less or more than four and they are not always where they are supposed to be.  I am hoping mine are where they belong.  I was told the 'spot' could actually be on the thyroid itself but hopefully this is not the case.  I don't really need any complications as I am hoping it will be quite a short operation.

We discussed the situation thoroughly and the surgeon's advice was that this adenoma should be removed or otherwise calcium will be leached from my bones etc. etc. etc. even though my bones last year showed they were then very solid when I had the bone density scan done.  We could of course continue to have more tests over the coming months/years but this condition does not cure itself so tomorrow I go Murdoch Hospital (have to be there at 7am which is not our time of day at all) and I was told I will be 'first cab off the rank" which is good news, particularly as I am diabetic.  Without knowing the full extent of what he will find the doctor has recommended a general anaesthetic as anything being done to the throat can cause coughing which would be rather dangerous when surgery is being undertaken.

I know this is risky at my age but there is little choice and I am sincerely hoping that if I have this operation I will begin to feel better in several ways, first of which is to feel less tired and 'washed out' every day and perhaps less bone pain and muscle cramps.  It seems this condition can also leach our phosphorus and magnesium and the lack of the latter can cause cramps.   The metformin I take for diabetes also leaches magnesium from the body so this could hopefully help that problem be resolved to some extent.

While I was at the surgery the doctor anaethetised my nose and throat and a camera was popped down to check my voice box which fortunately is OK (Phil confirmed that he had no doubt my voice box worked quite well) which I think was good news.    That only took less than 5 minutes and not all that uncomfortable although yesterday I was still feeling the after effects which gradually wore off during the day.

I have to go to the hospital to pre-admission this afternoon and have checked with Hospital Benefit Fund who tell me I am covered for a private room (after first paying a $200 excess) so ask for one (which I already did on the form) and that both the surgeon and anaesthetist are partly covered so hopefully the 'gap' won't be too huge.

Hopefully I will only be in hospital for a couple of days at most but I won't come home unless I feel confident I am OK as, apart from Phil, I have nobody to call on should anything go wrong.  Phil is wonderful but should I faint (I never have yet) or similar he'd have no chance of getting me up off the floor.

Wish me luck and hopefully I will be back here with you, hopefully feeling somewhat better, by next week if not earlier.   I have some more information about grandfather (PR) which you may find of interest.  Until then, au revoir.

P.S.  I just checked back to make sure this post appeared OK and couldn't believe it when it said I had posted it 20 minutes ago when, in fact, I posted it at least 4-5 hours back.  Where do these things go to in cyber pace before they appear here I wonder?

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Blessings for positive and speedy healing Mimsie! (As to the etherwebs? Sigh....) Take care and appropriate rest my dear. See you when you feel up to it. Hugs, YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending healing thoughts your way for a successful operation and recovery. (That Phil is a regular hoot isn't he?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Mimsie. You are in my heart and will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dead Mimsie wishing you luck as you asked but I am sending you all the hugs and prayers I can get across that ocean. Hugs hugs xo B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimsie, you've done everything in the proper order and the procedure is safe as it can be. You may proceed with confidence and I exspect you back to report by and by. Don't try to do too much after you get home. All operations take time to adjust to. Be in best spirits before and after and we will wait, looking forward to the pleasure of your renewed company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you good luck with the operation, even though I know you will be fine and back here with us in no time at all. Just take your time with recovery and enjoy being pampered by Phil and Candy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much love and positive thoughts being sent your way Mimsie for a smooth operation and a speedy recovery. After all, we will miss you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is scary to know what the doctor will do, and to be out, unaware. My mother in law had this surgery in August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mimsie - I've not been keeping up with my favorite blogs the way that I like to the past few weeks - so missed seeing this post till now. I wish you a very speedy and complete recovery! Rest up - and know that your readers will be patiently waiting for when you are up to posting again! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete