Saturday, October 4, 2014

MEMORIES BEGINNING IN THE DISTANT PAST

In a comment on my previous post where I said I was feeling a little lost my Alaskan granddaughter-in-law suggested perhaps thinking back as far as possible and maybe talking a little about historical and other important world events I had some memory of.  I am not sure how this will go but am willing to try it out beginning with my earliest memories in 1936-1937.

England's King George V who was born on 3rd June, 1865 died on 20 January, 1936.


Now I was only 4 at that time but I can vaguely remember mum and dad talking seriously about an important man who had died and another who had taken his place.  At this time we were living on a farm in Narrikup so we didn't see a great number of people but I am sure it became a big talking point when neighbour met neighbour.

Edward, Prince of Wales, became King following his father's death.  Edward showed impatience with court protocol and politicians were concerned with his apparent disregard for established constitutional conventions.  Over several years Edward had had affairs with a number of women and only months into his reign, he caused a constitutional crisis by proposing marriage to an American socialite, Wallis Simpson, who had divorced her first husband and was seeking a divorce from her second.  There were many repercussions following this decision, one of which was the conflict caused by Edward's status as titular head of the Church of England, which at the time opposed the remarriage of divorced people.


Choosing not to end his relationship with Mrs Simpson, Edward signed an instrument of abdication on 10th December, 1936 and on the night of 11th December, 1936 he spoke on radio to the nation and the empire, advising of his decision.  He then left for Europe.  He married Mrs Simpson in France on 3rd June, 1937.  With a reign of 326 days, Edward was one of the shortest-reigning monarchs in British history.

One duty he did perform as King was the opening of the British Parliament on 3rd November, 1936, the only time he performed that ceremony.


After his abdication Edward was created Duke of Windsor by his brother.  He rarely returned to England and after spending many years travelling he spent the last years of his life in retirement in France.    He died on 27th May, 1972 at the age of 77.   His body was returned to Britain, lying in state at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.  The funeral service was held in the chapel on 5 June in the presence of the Queen, the Royal Family, and the Duchess of Windsor, who stayed at Buckingham Palace during her visit.  The coffin was buried in the Royal Burial Ground behind the Royal Mausoleum of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert at Frogmore.  Frail, and in ill health, the Duchess of Windsor died 14 years later, and was buried alongside her husband as "Wallis, Duchess of Windsor".

George VI had been born on 14th December, 1895 and as the second son of the monarh he was not expected to inherit the throne.  After the abdication of his brother Edward, George ascended the throne as the third monarch of the House of Windsor.


George had married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923 and they had two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret (I always recall that when she was young she was known as Princess Margaret Rose). 

George VI's coronation took place on 12th May, 1937 (I was then nearly five and a half) and it is this I may remember more than the two former events as I am sure I recall mum putting up some decorations and having a special meal to celebrate the coronation.  Mum was always a royalist and she would have been really excited by all these events.  The following pictures depict the Coronation, the Royal family (including the King's mother Queen Mary) on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, and King George and Queen Elizabeth and their daughters Elizabeth and Margaret Rose after the coronation.

 


I am not sure if any of the above is of interest to anyone as I feel everyone possibly knows it all anyway.  It is the first positive memory of any important event I can recall so I share it with you for what it is worth.  The next big event I remember is the declaration of war in 1939.  It is a huge story but, once again, I doubt there is little I can add to the knowledge most people already have of that historic event.

I did also wonder if I may do a series about vegetables.  Sound a bit bonkers?  There are lots of vegies out there that I know little about and perhaps I may find some interesting ones I've never tasted.  Just a thought.


18 comments:

  1. The Royal family have a hard job. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live in the public's eye all of the time. Particularly now.
    I found this very interesting Mimsie, particularly that your mother had a special dinner for the coronation. I wonder whether anyone would do it now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank EC. I too think it would be hard being a Royal and I think our Queen is amazing the way she always looks so regal and keeps up with the work she is sheduled to do day in and day out.
      Mum and Dad had only emigrated from England in 1920 and I think mum continued with her "Englishness" for many years. I am sure the reason I vaguely remember these events was because they caused a lot of talk in our home and I know Mum did make the coronation of King George VI quite an occasion.

      Delete
  2. Being from the USA I find this very interesting, keep up the stories. My mother called me (informally) Margaret Rose, I wonder now if she though I was acting like a princess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit Claudia and I am glad you enjoyed this snippet of memory.
      I always thought Margaret Rose such a pretty name and I as sorry when the princess was older she dropped the Rose.
      You could be right in saying your mum gave you that name.

      Delete
  3. I found this interesting, especially the family connection. Sure I could find this on the net, but you've done the research for me, written it well and added that twist to the tail with Grandma and the dinner. I remember being at Iona when Robert Kennedy was shot and the commotion it caused. Too young to remember JFK, but you would most likely have memories of how Australia reacted to that and the intrigue that followed. Look forward to seeing what else you find to connect us to. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments. I remember exactly where I was when JFK was shot and killed and will write about that later.
      You would remember that grandma was always very 'English' although she had adopted her new country wholeheartedly over the years. I will always remember her telling me that when the Commonwealth Games were being held in New Zealand that when it was neck and neck between England and Australia she found herself barracking for Australia.

      Delete
  4. Amazing what we're able to remember, even about those really young years. While I've known some of those details, they definitely weren't clear in my mind, so it's a good reminder of exactly what happened.

    I love the idea that in response to the coronation there was a dinner in your house to celebrate. I wonder if that was common place around the world or just something special your mum decided to do.

    Looking forward to more stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in 1937 we were still very much part of Britain and with Mum and Dad being English the Royal family would still be very important to them.
      I am glad you enjoyed this little story and although the event is a very distant memory for me, it is still there.
      Thanks for your visit and I'm glad you will be back. xx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you shared this. I found it interesting. My grandmothers Canadian. I remember her talking about the Royal family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for paying a visit and so glad you enjoyed this story. I had of course to look up exact dates but that wee memory of particularly the coronation still exists.

      Delete
  6. I knew a little about what you've written but not a lot, I knew Edward had left the throne to his brother when he went with his heart. And I knew that Princess Margaret was called Princess Margaret Rose. I never paid much attention to any Royals when I was young apart from briefly wanting to be a princess myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy this story River. I was so young at the time but, probably because mum was a royalist, I have always taken somewhat of an interest in their doings, but not the scandal.
      I guess we all wanted to be princesses at one time or another but me, I never quite made it.

      Delete
  7. This was a terrific post Mimsie, beautifully written. I knew this as it was very much part of my growing up years. But you several bits that I did not know and I enjoyed how you wove in your own memories. Very, very interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I look forward to your piece on vegetables. Funnily enough, I came across a fruit I had never seen before and will have a post about it already in the works ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise and of course this is part of the history of your home country. I found a few more interesting titbits in my research, some of which I felt left where it was. There are always people looking for scandalous doing of the rich and famous and that's not my cup of tea at all.
      Look forward to reading about that fruit as it is probably foreign to me as well.
      Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete
  8. I always get upset when folks over here talk about doing away with the Monarchy. I think it's a delightful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari OM
    You always give us something else to think about, even with familiar facts, Mimsie so never fear - we'll be here! I think the veges one is a great idea; being vegetarian I know quite a lot and also from having lived in different countries. Some are strictly an acquired taste! It would be great to read bout them thru your eyes. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always thought Edward's radio announcement--which I first heard as a child in the 1950s-- that he had renounced the throne for the woman he loved, was perhaps the most romantic thing I'd ever heard. It would be worth becoming a king just to say a thing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess you've got a good point there Geo. but his abdication didn't do a lot for Britain or the royal family at the time. It is also felt that his brother being forced to ascend the throne may have shortened King George VI's life by many years. He was not a well man and his stuttering must have been dreadful for him when faced with being such a public figure. On top of all that Edward was thought to be a nazi sympathizer. Whether that is true I have no idea but where's smoke there is quite often fire.

    ReplyDelete