Friday, October 17, 2014

A PHOTO A DAY......number THIRTEEN

Running very late today (Phil had to have CT scan of his chest and later I had a chest x-ray) so scanned the first picture that came to hand.

This was taken by my photographer brother Len.  It is me dressed up in the gown I wore when I made my debut at the Pleiades Ball in 1949 when I was 17.  (I wish I still had that lovely slender neck).


I still love to see my brother's writing  "Gibbney Studios" and "Perth" below the photo.  He was manager of that photographic studio when after he was demobbed from the Royal Australian Air Force after WW2.

P.S.  When I was young several people said they thought I resembled Deanna Durbin.  I wonder if anyone who remembers that wonderful singer can see any likeness?

10 comments:

  1. Oh Mimsie you are and were beautiful. HUG B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment Buttons but that beauty has long faded but am hoping it was more than just skin deep. xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely photo....hmmmmm.....I used to have a neck. Wonder where that went?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kind lady for your comment. I have a neck still but fear it is hidden by too many chins.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh yeah, now that's a beaut! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and glad you enjoyed this one. It is one of my favourites. xx

      Delete
  4. Simply stunning. Yes, you certainly grew a fine neck but the eyes have it --a clear, pellucid vision of reality. I wonder if those who have such eyes understand the appreciation we less optometrically symmetrical beings have for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo.
      The poor old neck has gone the way of many necks....shrunk.
      The eyes are not quite as good as they look as one is a little off centre although you can't notice it at all. Causes a pull on the eye muscle which is a darned nuisance and means I have to wear glasses to relieve it although my eyesight is still excellent.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful smooth skin you had!
    I can't see Deanna Durbin in your face, but the hair is similar, although hers was shorter by an inch or so.
    You really are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words River. My skin is still not too bad but now has all the 'old people' things that go wrong as you age but not so much on my face thank goodness. I have nasty scars on my forehead from the shingles a few years back so now wear a fringe of sorts to cover them upl.

      Delete