Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WEDNESDAY WANDERINGS (NO 3) 1982

Whilst in Queenstown I discovered SNOW.   As said previously it had begun to snow on the mountains just after we arrived and we decided we'd like to visit Coronet Peak.   Having been told the roads were quite narrow and winding we decided it would be safer to take a bus trip.  We were very glad we did as, sitting on the right side of the bus, as we went around those bends we were actually looking down at open space....quite frightening.

When we arrived it had begun to snow quite heavily so of course I wanted to be out there in it instead of sitting having a nice hot cuppa in the nice warm indoors.


We took photos of each other (I even owned a raincoat then)



and I made a snowman!!!   Phil thought me a little loopy but remember, it was my first experience of snow and he, as a boy, I am sure would have made lots of snowmen in England.


Probably not the most elegant snowman but snow was still in limited quantities so I just did my best with what was there.  This was my first and only experience of snow firsthand.   From then on we just saw it in the distance as we travelled around.  With our long hot summers in Perth I often dream of that day on Coronet Peak and wish I was back there in the snow again.

11 comments:

  1. Snow! In Australia? Your snowman looks darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Susan....snow in south island New Zealand. Sorry I didn't name the country although snow does fall quite heavily in Tarmania and also the highlands of south-east Australia where there are large skifields.
      We in the west unfortunately don't see snow although our Stirling Ranges in the south-west do sometimes receive a very light fall which to we West Aussies is always a great event.
      I thought my snowman good as a first attempt to. : )

      Delete
  2. I love your snowman! I've never made one in my life, having never seen real snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. Kakka and I have always dreamed of a white Christmas but this was the closest I ever got (wrong time of year though) but I brought the memory home with me. I loved it. I think my ancestors from the north of Scotland and Denmark gave me a lot of their genes so I enjoy the cold weather (and the snow).

      Delete
  3. I love your snowman. And thoroughly enjoyed making my one and only snow-woman too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very proud of my first effort too.
      So you made one too eh? I think mine was left to decide what gender it wanted to be. Wonder if it made up its mind before it melted? : )

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    That sure is a good first (if only) effort!! I can recall getting the surprise of my life in the early 'ninties' in Sydney when - June 1st I think it was - there came a fluttering of snow!! Rare but it does happen. It didn't stay around of course, but the Blue Mountains West of the city often get a fall during winter. ...Fun for a visit, but like any weather, if you have to live in it and it stays around too long it gets boring... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the thought of "Loopy " Mimsie making that beautiful snow man. HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fortunate for you that, after discovering snow, you could walk away from it and never have to see it again lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really understand your sentiments Mimsie - some of my happiest holiday memories of 'beloved' and I were in the mountains and snow of New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun memory! My sister-in-law has never seen snow, and would like the chance to see it and I think it's too bad because I think everyone should have at least one or two days like you did to build a snowman! :-)

    ReplyDelete