Thursday, April 10, 2014

THOUGHTS ON THURSDAY

Well I can start off with one good thought which sounds pretty 'right' to me.  I was able to contact the cabinetmaker about our kitche and he said it should be installed either next Wednesday or Thursday so hopefully it will be done just in time for Easter.  I then have to contact the man to do the vinyl and let him know he can measure up and show me some patterns.  We've decided where the carpet has to be replaced in the L-shaped hallway that we will continue the vinyl in there as well.  Will also ask him about steam cleaning the living room carpet as well.  Would prefer to replace it with vinyl but so much furniture to move and perhaps a little out of our price range.  Need to ask questions when I see him.

Another 'right'.....my daughter rang me on Sunday and we had a nice long chat.  Was delighted to know she has lost another 4 kilo although she says she has plateaued out again.   She has done so well having now lost well over 25 kilo or even more. I had hoped she may blog again and blow me down, she must have read my mind, as I find there was a post from her yesterday.  So glad she did that as I know many of you would like to know how she is.

More that in my eyes is good too.  The man who does such a wonderful job in our garden came yesterday and it is mostly looking spic and span again.  Ron had his own health problems last year but he tells me all is going well with him now  which is good to hear.  I've asked him if can 'do' our garden on a regular basis every two months.  He said he can and that has taken a big load off my mind.  It will never look this good, certainly not as green with our lack of rain, but we can keep working at it and with Ron's help maybe we'll get there one day.  Perhaps hopes and dreams are all we have as we age and have to rely so much on others.


Some not so good news about our x-rays.  Nothing huge but Phil had to have a CT scan of his chest on Tuesday and I have to have another x-ray in two weeks time.  Doctor not sure about Phil's problem and Phil has an appointment to see him on Friday afternoon when hopefully all will be revealed.  Doctor seems to think my 'opacity' may be an infection of some kind and a second x-ray will perhaps show whatever it is has disappeared.  All rather vague right now and one can but hope that all will be well.

We both had blood tests yesterday as we see our endocrinologist next Wednesday so are both hoping our blood glucose is still reasonably well under control.  I have started using Stemitel and Ventolin and one or both of them contain steroids which are not friendly when it comes to BG.  If ever you have an injection into a joint you just don't bother testing your BG for at least 3-4 days 'cos you know the result will be bad.  My morning BG tests were dreadful this week and as my eating habits haven't changed I can't put a finger on why that has happened except for the Ventolin.  I guess the blood tests will tell the story when we get them next week.

We must not complain as we two oldies have so far been granted 12 and 14 years above our three score years and ten and it is out intent to continue battling along as best we can.  So there!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your kitchen will be done before Easter. Wonderful news. And yes, it was lovely to see a new post from Kakka. I have missed her.
    Fingers and toes crossed on the health front for both you and Phil.
    We had some irritating news yesterday. The paver (finally came) to repair our driveway. He started. And stopped. And came inside to tell us that it was laid without regard to due standards originally. He could fix it - but there would be noooo guarantees. Or he could do it properly - which will triple the cost of the work. And his high and skinniness had plumped for the expensive option. Which will now start some time after Easter (weather permitting). And it is raining again today. Mind you, I will take rain over no rain any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great news re kitchen and hopefully he will be true to his word.
      Thanks for the good wishes re health - Phil will know CT results tomorrow afternoon (I will go with him to doctor's).
      Seems it's difficult to win with tradesmen these days. So many rules and regulations but after all, although it is a part of your entire home it is only a driveway.
      You are so lucky to have had rain which I right now would choose over nearly everything else. Days this week all about 30ºC. They keep promising rain but I thin they are just trying to keep us from becoming too depressed. Right now our skies are bright blue.

      Delete
  2. GREAT news about the kitchen and about Kakka too, I'll hop over and read her post later.
    I'll check my Ventolin, I thought it didn't contain steroids....my Pulmicort does. I no longer have the instruction sheet and the Ventolin canister doesn't have ingredients on it. I almost never use it anyway.
    We had quite a lot of rain here last night, it was lovely to hear it on the roofs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be with great relief when the kitchen is finally done. Will try in future not to do silly things.
      Envy you the rain....the weatherman is playing with us with his promises.

      Delete
  3. I admire your positive attitude Mimsie. Glad to hear about your kitchen and your garden looks lovely. I hope you both get your test results back soon. Good for your daughter with her weight loss. I am always working on mine. Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchen should be done before Easter...hopefully.
      Wish that was our garden but it was just one I borrowed to brighten up the page.

      Delete
  4. Yay for the new kitchen...boo for the repeat tests.
    What's right here? The kids are going to be here for Easter Friday (candy shopping in my immediate future)...we got the car cleaned inside and out and she looks and smells like new again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful for you to see the kids for Easter.
      Aren't cars great when they have been cleaned up? Ours is now about 10 years old but still looks good and we have to keep it tht way as we can't afford another one.

      Delete
  5. Do you remember how, as a child, you looked at someone in their late sixties and thought "Now THAT is old!"
    We are close to mid-sixties and think that those in their 80s are old, but we aren't.

    I hope your tests and such turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm in my 80s there are very few around that to me look old any more.
      I do though remember years ago never having a thought of being here in the 21st century.
      Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    Ventolin is non-steroidal but my butesonide (Symbicort) of course IS a steroid. I use it minimally as weight gain is my issue.

    Stemetil can aggravate blood conditions AND breathing troubles.... so I am curious as to it's continued use if you have been diagnosed with asthma and why only ventolin without a backup preventative such as Symbicort... I am assuming you had a bout of vertigo/nausea to have been prxd Stemetil in the first instance. I strongly advise a drug review Mimsie. I talk as a health professional.

    Your 'rights' this week though are heartening. Mine is mainly that the sun is shining and I have finally allowed myself to take a few days of doing not a lot. Here's to kitchen and flooring success!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a dodo....realisation at last. I took Stemetil when I was having day long vertigo attacks up to a year ago and keep some handy 'just in case'. It is of course Seretide that I use night and morning and Ventolin when needed.
      Thanks for your wishes re kitchen etc and glad to know you ar having a wee break.

      Delete