Saturday, April 26, 2014

SATURDAY CATS

This is the penultimate Saturday cat as beyond this one there is only a "Y" cat to come.

The Ukrainian Levkoy is a cat breed of distinct appearance, having inward-folding ears and little to no hair.  These cats are of medium size with a longish body, appearing both muscular and slender.  They have soft, elastic skin; an excess of which leads to a wrinkled appearance.  The breed is not recognised by any major, international cat fancier and breeder organisations, only Ukrainian and Russian clubs.


The Levkoy's peculiar features are: special angular contour of its head and 'stepped' profile (dog-face appearance), folded ears and large, but not wide almond-shaped eyes.  The cats express sexual dimorphism.

This is a recent man-made breed, originally developed by Elena Biruikova in the Ukraine. Created by crossing or by outbreeding hairless Donskoy females with Scottish Fold metis males the Ukrainian Levkoy has a distinct and unique appearance.  Two spontaneous mutations of dominant FD genes of cats with folded ears (that appeared in a simple domestic cat in Scotland) were used, as well as spontaneous natural dominant mutation of hairlessness or boldness of the domestic cat gene BD in Russia.  Both had appeared in the last century in Scotland and in Russia.  Oriental and Domestic cats were also used in mating to obtain the required characteristics of the Ukrainian Levkoy.  The breed was recognised in 2005 in the Ukraine by ICFA RUI (Rolandus Union International).  It was recognised in Russia in 2010 by ICFA WCA.  In the Ukraine, starting in September, 2010, it was deemed that Ukrainian Levkoys may be awarded the title of "Champion" and that they may take part in "The Best in Show" competition.  Nowadays there are 10 Ukrainian Levkoys who are given these titles.  In Russia the first titles of "Champion" and "The Best in Show" were given in 2011.  The other organisations are mating this new breed of Ukrainian Levkoy as an experimental breed without the "Champion" title at cat exhibitions.


These cats are friendly, playful and intelligent.  Levkoys are very sociable, enjoying human or family company as well as the company of other domestic pets (e,g dogs, rats, pigs).  Unclothed Ukrainian Levkoys do not need brushing but do need special skin care to give protection against direct sun and particularly cold conditions.


Whether or not you agree with all this breeding in and breeding out or not it will continue as long as people want something 'different'.  I am not sure I would want one of these cats and yet I find there is something rather appealing about their faces.   What do you think, and would you like to own one if one was available?


10 comments:

  1. He's kinda cute! All the other hairless cats I've seen before looked more along the lines of creepy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too Susan. Something appealing about this one and apparently some do have some hair. I just found the expressions on their faces rather delightful.

      Delete
  2. It does look cuter than many of the hairless cats - but no, probably not for me. And I doubt I could afford them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt any of us could afford one even if available. This one definitely has 'something' the other hairless don't have but not sure what except perhaps the face.

      Delete
  3. Would I like to own one?
    No. Not at all. To me these don't look at all like cats.
    While I am sure they have their admirers, I'm not a fan of hairless cats. Or dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hairless variety of cat or dog has never appealed to me either but this one caught my attention for some reason. As said above, perhaps the facial expressions.

      Delete
  4. Now there's a face only a mother could love. Would I want one? Well....I wouldn't go looking for one on purpose BUT if I met one and was charmed by it's personality and THEN was told I could have it......
    Only a "Y" left? What about V for very pretty and W for wonderful and X for Xtra funnny and Z for Zippiest? You know, manipulate the alphabet a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess as they all look rather alike their mums would love them as we do our offspring! I think I'd still think twice even if offered one for free as in our heat they would have to always stay inside because of sunburn and I think they have other problems too.
      Not sure about your suggestions for V W X and Z. Will have to give that some thought.

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    Strewth, that's some profile!!! No not for me I'm afraid. But fascinating to see. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly very different Yam. It takes all types I guess but why one would want to deliberately breed a cat to look like that beats me. xx

      Delete