Tuesday, April 1, 2014

TELLING IT ON TUESDAY (Part 13)

Here it is now 1952 and I am well and truly back in Perth, working for an insurance company, engaged to be married and about to celebrate my 21st birthday and have my tonsils out (not all at the same time of course).  I said this would be my life story so I intend to include the no so good with the excellent and hope you will bear with me as I do so.  Not everything in one's life always goes smoothly and mine was like that at times.  You will understand what I am saying as the story unfolds over the coming weeks.

Way back when I was young, 18th birthdays just came and went and there were no special celebrations.  We were not old enough to vote nor drink alcohol...nothing to celebrate at all.  The important birthday was when you turned 21 and mum decided I should have a party.  She booked the Mt Lawley Tennis Club hall and we invited friends and quite a lot of my young workmates from Western Assurance.  We had music so of course we danced all night and there was a scrumptious supper catered for.  I made myself a pink satin dress with a little shoulder cape that could be taken off.


Unfortunately I don't have photographs of any of the guests but I do have this one of me taken with my two friends/ex-workmates Val Edmunds and Wilma Longwood.  Oh yes, we wore long dresses in those days and tried to look beautiful.  These two friends were later in the year to be my matron-of-honour and bridesmaid.


This is a group photo also taken at my 21st birthday party but poor old dad is missing and I'm not sure why as he was certainly there at my party.  I have a feeling he was in the photo but someone cut him off (that is another story in itself).  This is taken at the supper table where you will see my birthday cake in the shape of a key and from left to right: the birthday girl, sister-in-law Jean, my mum, brother Len and my godmother Alice Potter.


Once the birthday celebration were all over I then prepared myself to have my tonsils out.  I had discussed with the surgeon whether to have a general or local anaesthetic and plumped for the latter. Mid January I went to St John of God Hospital in Subiaco and was admitted to a room which I shared with a dear old lady who was really quite ill.  The tonsillectomy went very well although a tad painful as apparently my tonsils were quite deep seated but I still didn't regret my choice of the local anaesthetic as I was awake the whole time with no nasty after effects.  The surgeon showed me my tonsils and they were really gross with holes all over them.  Apparently each time I had a bout of tonsillitis they would become ulcerated and the scars remained.  No wonder they were making me so ill.   I think I spent two more nights in hospital and as I left I gave the old lady a small bottle of 4711 eau de cologne that mum had given me and bade her farewell.  (More about that in a later post).

The big event shortly after my 21st party was my friend Val's wedding to Owen Page.  It was a wonderful occasion and after their honeymoon they settled down in their new home in Herdsman Parade, Wembley.   Val and Owen went on to have 3 sons and I often thought Val would have liked to have had a daughter and yet her 3 boys meant the world to her and to Owen as well.  They were such a happy couple until her death in 1998 at the age of 65.  She and Owen had by then moved to live in Rockingham.  He has since moved into a retirement village in a Perth suburb and we still remember each other at Christmas.  He never fails to send a card which we very much appreciate.   I still miss Val very much.

It was not time to get down to planning my own wedding to Aubrey.   I had to make a decision about the type of dress and my future mother-in-law who had been a trained dressmaker/tailoress offered to not only make my wedding gown but also my going away outfit and even a hat to match.   We looked at various designs and finally settled on a strapless white moire faille dress with a lacy jacket with covered buttons.  Strangely enough, many years later, Prince William's bride chose a dress very similar in style to the one I'd worn in 1953. They were so similar that those of you who have followed my daughter's blog (menopausal mumma) may remember her posting photos of the two dresses commenting on the similarity in design.  My dress of course was made by a dressmaker in North Perth (albeit a very competent one) and the other by a celebrated designer and one that, to we lesser mortals, would have cost a small fortune.  There was a moment of humour while my dress was being make when Grace, who had never before made a strapless dress, asked me what would make it stay up.  I assured her, quite seriously, that I thought there was enough of me for that not to be a problem. This is the dress.  It did have a small train but not nearly as long as on the dress worn by Kate:  (more photos in next week's post):


I did have a small hand in all this as I made the cap that held the veil in place covering it with the moire faille and using little sprigs of flowers and my long pearl necklace to decorate it.  Later I took it apart so I could use the string of pearls again.  Waste not, want not is my motto.


This was my going away outfit, complete with hat.  It was a deep fawn colour and I pinned a bunch of cherries at my throat to match the red shoes, bag and gloves.  The hat also had a wee red veil that came just over my forehead.  We were still wearing our skirts quite long in 1953.  Incidentally, the wedding veil was borrowed; I had made myself a blue garter and Mrs Dakin (a very old friend of mum and dad) had given me a beautiful old hanky made of Nottingham lace so I had the something borrowed, something blue, something old and something new (my dress).  All very traditional!!  I still have thar handkerchief wrapped in tissue paper.  It could be 100+ years old now and I treasure it still.

An event took place between January and July that nearly put an end to all wedding plans.  This is my life story so I feel I should include this as it may have bearing on what happened many years later.  Aub was quite possessive and a rather jealous person but I'd not realised just how much until one night when a friend of mine was at our home.  Judy had come up from Katanning for a few days and mum had asked her to come and have dinner with us so she and I could spend some time together.  I had told Aub that Judy was coming and perhaps he wouldn't mind not coming over that night.  Of course he turned up as usual which I thought a little selfish on his part but let it go until he kept interrupting as Judy and I were trying to chat.  I had known Judy since I was 12 and if you remember had been her bridesmaid when she married in 1950.  We had a lot to talk about and when Aub began tickling me to try to get my attention and generally being what I thought was rather rude I gave him a little slap.  Not a hard one but enough to let him know he wasn't being funny.  With that he leapt to his feet, headed for the front door and out he went slamming the door really hard behind him.  Mum immediately came to where Judy and I were, asking what on earth had happened.  I explained to her what had taken place and it was then that she and Judy sat down and tried to discourage me from going ahead with the marriage.  I must admit I knew they only had my interest at heart and much of what they said was very true but I'd made a commitment and felt I should carry on with our plans.  Did I make the right decision?  Only time would tell. 

Next Tuesday I will tell all about the big event with more photos etc.  Am I still holding your attention?  I hope so but will continue for my own sake as it's great to reminisce just for me alone.  Lots of great times to look back on and savor in the latter days of my life.







14 comments:

  1. Oh Mimsie - you certainly are holding my attention. Tuesdays have become a red letter day.
    I love your dress(es) - you look so elegant in all of them.
    I have to ask: Did your mum and Judy try and discourage you just because of that event, or did they already have reservations? Not that it makes any diffference now, but I am wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC....your comment made my day for me. I do think the fashion of the 50s was rather lovely.
      No, to be honest, it was not just that one event. Neither Mum nor Dad were keen on my choice of husband but, as if often the case with young people, I was told afterwards that if they objected too strongly it may well not have the desired effect. Aub did not ask for my hand but rather I had to tell Dad about the proposed engagement and his comment was "Well, it's your life". They were never unpleasant to Aub which I admired them for tremendously. As Delores said in a comment last week. We do sometimes tend to drift into these things. I hope that answers your question.

      Delete
  2. "Am I still holding your attention?" Madam, I am all attention! You recount these events with clarity and liveliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Geo. you really are a gorgeous fellow and thanks so much for your comments. I only wish I could write poetry as you do but I have to stick to plain old prose.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a story Mimsie, you write so beautifully. Thank you for sharing your tales - and oh, those FROCKS! I do adore a pretty frock and those are just incredible (Kate must've seen your wedding dress for inspiration!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks PPMJ, I do appreciate your comments.
    That's what kakka and I said. Kate must have been looking through an old West Australian newspaper and seen where I'd married in 1953 and fallen in love with the style of gown. Well, we can always dream can't we? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Oh Mimsie, how can you ask??!! Am on tenterhooks - true life is always more captivating than fiction when it comes to the human condition.

    I adore your outfits - and you ARE a beautiful lady!!! Can't wait till next week... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yam, you are very kind.
      We did wear rather lovely clothes back then and enjoyed dressing up too. Not so beautiful now I'm afraid with the ravages of time but I just grow old gracefully I hope.
      Not sure the rest of my life will be quite as exciting. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh my...the warning signs were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could say that but when we are young we often ignore the obvious.

      Delete
  7. I love this recounting of your life - you write so well, and, my goodness, what a talented seamstress you were/are! The fashions then were so lovely (as was the young lady who wore them)... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I only write as I think with no special talent. I loved to sew but can't take credit for my wedding gown or going away outfit. They were made by a truly gifted seamstress but I did make nearly all my other clothes for many years.
      I love to be thought of as a young lady. I tried to be most of the time. Not just an old lady with many memories.

      Delete
  8. You most certainly are holding my attention Mimsie. Your dresses are very lovely, almost as lovely as you. Around Adelaide lately I've been seeing quite a few girls dressing in the 50s style of dresses, floral fabrics, full skirts in knee length or just a bit longer and with decent shoes and hairstyle too. They look very nice.
    I'm seeing similar warning signs to the ones I should have taken notice of myself, not for my first marriage, but the second, so I can't blame my youth for the troubles I had there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you've not found me boring so far River and hope it won't come to that but you never know as my life becomes much more dull.
    It's good to know that some young ladies are dressing in style instead of such rubbish some of them wear these days.
    I think even when not so young we don't always want to heed warning signs the may be there. I guess we like to think the choices we make are good ones.

    ReplyDelete