Saturday, December 3, 2016

THINKING ALLOWED

As you know yesterday was Phil's birthday and we were going out to dinner.  Aimee picked us up on schedule and we had an uneventful trip until about 5 minutes from the restaurant.  K rang on her mobile to tell us there had been a crash on the main road just before where we were due to turn off.  All drivers behaved quite well and merged into the one lane.  It appeared a ute and a very old bus had collided but I don't think anyone was seriously injured, at least I hope not. 


I would plead with everyone, if you are driving, do please be extra careful as I feel as Christmas approaches people have more than usual on their minds and maybe are not quite as careful as they usually are.

We all enjoyed our dinner....I had Atlantic salmon with mash and asparagus (delicious) and Phil had steak fillet with chips and a garden salad.   Those who had pork belly found it a tad overcooked but decided not to complain and still seemed to enjoy their meal.   We were wondering if the restaurant had new owners as there were various changes and new waitresses.  Am trying to decide if I want to go there or perhaps somewhere else for my birthday next month. It becomes very crowded and the acoustics are not good....as Phil said it's a little like being in a chook run when all the hens get disturbed!!

We now have our Secret Santa lists....one of which is very straightforward...the other a long list from which to choose.  I still think it a great idea where one person buys for just one person with a monetary limit.    Lots of folk decide not to bother buying for the adults in a family but, even at my age (perhaps even more so in a way) I still love to receive a parcel to unwrap at Christmas.  Doing Secret Santa ensures we all receive something we want.



8 comments:

  1. It's a bit late this year, but I may suggest a Secret Santa for us for next year, the family is growing quite large now that one grand daughter is engaged and her brother has a girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does work out well and you just buy one gift. We used to set the top value at $100 but a couple of the family are a bit short so this year the limit is $50. You can still buy something very nice for that amount.
      I actually saw Secret Santa as a suggestion on a post about what to do and not to do for Christmas. It also spoke of far too many people getting into bad Christmas debt.
      What we do is one person receives all the lists and then draws names and lists out of a hat and then emails everyone with a list. You are then supposedly the only one who knows who has asked for what. It's quite a bit of fun but a lot of work for the persons selecting the names and gifts. We are fortunate that we only have 8 to do it for as the 2 littlies get multiple gifts.

      Delete
  2. We are just doing family gifts - I bought tins of popcorn last year, I guess they liked it fine.
    I wonder what the statistics are for accidents around the holidays. I can see why they would be up around now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a splendid idea for a gift.
      I know from statistics there are definitely more road accidents in December and January. In Perth we have double demerit points for about 10-12 days over the festive season which does help but there are still too many idiots behind the wheel which is tragic for many.

      Delete
  3. Secret Santa sounds like a lovely idea. And yes, to have a little something to unwrap is nice.
    I am glad that Phil and you enjoyed your dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did enjoy the evening out and now we await Christmas Day to be spent at Christie and Mathew's home. We get to see the little girls open their gifts which is always a lot of fun. Those two girls have so many toys I think they could open their own toy shop.

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Well done for skirting the accident and managing to have an enjoyable time... I guess a Friday night + staff parties for the season will all add to the cacophony.

    I only have half a dozen folk I exchange pressies with and we are all inclined to keep it within small budget. We also don't at all mind "found things" - dad, for example, has taken to going through his stuff and giving us each something from family history; I have so much stuff gathered from all my travelling, that I make up a shoebox of 'interest' (a bit like a stocking I suppose!) for each person... or pass on a book that I have particularly treasured and write a reason for passing it on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about it being a Friday and pre-Christmas to boot.
      I love your idea of the presents you and your dad give at Christmas and particularly passing on a treasured, well-read book.
      I have passed on to family members lots of things I no longer use (crystal glasses, bowls and the like) so Secret Santa suits us fine now.

      Delete