Tuesday, November 8, 2016

TUESDAY CHAT

First off I remember the other day Charlie said his mum loved nasturtiums so I snapped a couple of pics where they are sprawling out of the agave bed onto the brick path.  Years ago I sowed some out of date seeds in the front garden and they all came up.  For several years we would have nasturtiums growing out the front.   These days none grow there at all but our back garden has nasturtiums spring up all over each year with some, this year, even growing in the little bed under the pergola.  Here now for Charlie's mum are some nasturtiums:




This weather is really bewildering....after sweltering on Saturday with 37C (98F), yesterday and today we are rugging up as it is really quite cool (Phil says it is cold) and seems it will be that way until next weekend.  No point in thinking of packing away winter clothing or bedding as we may need it yet a while.  Poor Phil has had his comforter on his bed and then off his bed and I add a light blanket one night and get rid of it the next.   The wind chill is really icy.

I am feeling for the people of New South Wales where those awful bushfires are raging.  50 fires in all which surely must have been caused by lightning strikes.  Some property has been lost but fortunately no human lives.   My thoughts are always with the wild animals and birds that live in the bush that is being ravaged by fire.  Some escape but so many are killed or injured which saddens me so much.  We have to take out hats off to the tireless men and women of the various fire services that fight these fires in Australia every year.   Last summer all over Australia there were dozens of homes lost and several lives as well.   I feel we are in for quite a dangerous fire season and the various departments in Western Australia are doing their very best to burn off as much as they can while the cool weather holds.  Unfortunately we had a very wet beginning to spring so the usual spring burns had to be put on hold for a while.  The changeable weather makes it very difficult for them.

Have been chatting with family about Christmas and have suggested perhaps no gifts for the adults and just gifts for the 3 youngsters and a lovely family get-together where we all contribute food of one kind or another.  I feel Christmas in this country where it is often so hot on Christmas Day needs to be simplified to make it comfortable for all concerned.  I know Phil once missed the Christmases in England with hot roast dinners and the trimmings but having now lived in Oz for 56 years he is well and truly part of our way of life.   Speaking of Phil, it will be his 87th birthday in a few weeks and we've decided the family will meet and enjoy dinner at our usual restaurant in Baldivis.  It is close to C and M with their young girls and the food is enjoyable and the service good.  An outing we are both looking forward to.


9 comments:

  1. I like your idea about Christmas.
    And yes, my heart goes out to everyone (and everything) affected by fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel sometimes people go over the top and I believe simple is best.
      We can only hope the fire season in Oz this year will be much better than last year.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Bush fires have definitely increased in recent years, I feel. Cyclical, I suppose, but also part of the general global changes. As is the up and down and stuff you describe.

    I adore 'nasties' too - had heaps of them in my Sydney garden... as a salad item. the flowers and leaves are wonderfully peppery, mixed in with mesclun, or just on their own with poached egs at brekky. The seeds pickle well - "poor man's capers"!

    Crikey though, Christmas as creeping up apace! Good to plan early and I agree, keep it simple. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years a go we used to use 'nasty' leaves in sandwiches and salads. Must try them again before they are all gone.
      Christmas seems to sneak up on us every year no matter what.

      Delete
  3. Bushfires in NSW? I had no idea :( I haven't been watching the news at all lately. Very naughty of me, but I've been in "don't care" mode for weeks now.
    We have the wind chill factor here too, I wear my big parka when going out, so I'm comfortable, then I'm sweltering on the buses because their aircons are still set for winter. The few hot days we've had are just a teasing taste of what to expect when summer finally hits. I'm not looking forward to it, but less of the chopping and changing from hot to cold will be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for not watching the news as very little of it is good.
      I have found over the years as everywhere has become airconditioned that I have to dress for summer even in winter.
      Our weather is still doing the up and down stuff...another hot day soon.

      Delete
  4. Nice flowers.
    Sorry about the fires, kinda scary. Global changes seem more evident now. I'm not sure if things are really changing or if the internet is making us more aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the media grabs on to a topic and bombards us with it. Bit concerned now as Mr Trump apparently doesn't believe in climate change. Pity.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the invite...will pop over later and check it out.

    ReplyDelete