Tuesday, November 29, 2016

TUESDAY CHAT

Table for 10 booked for 6pm next Friday night to celebrate Phil's 87th birthday.  The weather will be reasonably mild with a forecast temp of 29C (about 85F) which is not too bad.  Family all accepted so look forward to a pleasant evening.






I did ask about a free meal for people if they were dining on their actual birthday (we have taken advantage of this wonderful offer previously) but was told we now have to belong to their VIP Club.  This was new to me but I found a form on their internet page and I filled in one each for Phil and myself and also let other family members know about this new innovation.  I am now hoping the VIP voucher will arrive in plenty of time to use it next Friday.

I am wondering if anyone else in Australia has been receiving phone calls asking if anyone at your telephone number has been involved in a road accident in the previous two years.  Surely if someone at that number had had an accident they would know the person's name instead of taking a stab in the dark.  Obviously it is a nasty scam where they are hoping you will give them vital information such as your bank account details or similar.    They make it sound as though they represent a legal firm who will help you receive compensation for the alleged accident.  I hear of people losing money through all types of scams these days and as the number they call from says "private" or "overseas" you cannot trace the call.  I now either hang up immediately or tell they I know it is a scam and will report them if they continue being a nuisance.

A year or so back I was told by an employee of Telstra that if you notice the call is from a private or overseas number it is a good idea not to speak but just leave the phone "off the hook" for 5 minutes and Telstra will trace the call.  Not sure how they would do that but when one has friends with a private number or who live overseas it is difficult to know if it is a nuisance call or not.  I guess it's just one more nuisance we have to put up in this modern technological world.

I hope everyone is having a good week, or as good as can be hoped for.  Well all have our ups and downs but as long as we are up much more than we are down we should be happy.

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I make good use of my caller ID on the phone and if it doesn't come up with name of family or friends I let it go to answer phone... of course 99 time out of 100 no message gets left. But occasionally it is legit and that is fine - it's what the answer phone is for!

    I hope your VIP slip comes through too, Mimsie... be sure to have a good time never the less!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind letting the answering service take calls but it wouldn't be so good if someone was say ringing from England and that also shows as oveseas.
      I must check about the vouchers but as you say a good time will be had anyway. xx

      Delete
  2. It's good that everyone will be there to celebrate Phil's 87th. That shouldn't bee too warm and may cool off before you leave for home.
    If I don't know the number, I just let it ring anymore. If they call me again, I'll look it up. Most calls are just nuisance calls anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a couple missing...one grandaughter lives in New Jersey and our grandson will be working. We are only a very small family now with my son and his family not joining in any more.

      Delete
  3. I hope that you all have a WONDERFUL evening on Friday. And a very happy birthday to Phil.
    We did get those calls for a while, but the most common are the ones purportedly from Microsoft. And I tell them to put their concerns in writing and hang up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for wishes for Phil. will pass them on.
      I think that a wonderful idea. I will in future also ask them to put their concern in writing. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. The car crash calls are definitely a scam, don't be fooled. I know you won't of course, my message is to everyone else reading here.
    I hope the VIP voucher arrives in time.
    Have a lovely birthday gathering and Happy Birthday Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will pass on your wishes to Phil and we look forward to all family gatherings as they don't happen often enough.
      Scams via phone or email are all ignored by us.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Phil.
    There are a lot of telephone scams here in Canada from all over the world. The accident one has been a big one around here. You are wise not to listen. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buttons for birthday wishes which will be passed on and appreciated too.
      Imagine the same scams in your world as well. I guess they find it worth their while as they must occasionally catch some poor soul who really is waiting for compensation for a car crash.
      Thanks so much for popping in.

      Delete