Friday, September 21, 2012

A SURE SIGN THAT SPRING HAS ARRIVED

We have a beautiful hawthorn bush growing in our front garden.  It is not the same hawthorn that grows in England so MOH tells me but I think this may be Indian hawthorn.  It is out in full flower now and it always to me seems to herald that spring is here.  As it is 21st September today, the equinox I felt it a good time to declare IT IS SPRING.

The first upright picture is our hawthorn and then I decided to add the one that grows next door in an entirely different form.  Our hawthorn is an upright variety whereas Gwen's is more shrubby but both are glorious.

I took the picture on what you might call and wintry, windy and wet day in Perth (notice the alliteration there folks?) and yet that hawthorn brings such a glorious brightness to the garden.


4 comments:

  1. A very wet and windy Spring day today for sure, but I cut my first rose today, so Spring is here, it was from the rose bush I planted in memory of our little grandson lost. It is sitting on my desk smelling absolutely gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So roses are in bloom too. Actually we have a poor little what is supposedly a climbing white rose and it has had a couple of blooms this week. What a lovely reminder of a little soul lost to you. xx

      Delete
  2. The hawthorne looks lovely. We want some of your wet. You can keep the wind, but the wet would be very nice indeed.
    Our crab-apple tree heralds spring here. One side of it is out now and the other is close behind. Joy. The gentleman who lived across the road from us held morning tea parties each year when the crab apple was in full bloom so he and his visitors could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is like a breath of fresh air. I looked crab apples up on Google and what gorgeous trees they are. I love the idea of the gentleman who once held tea parties for people to enjoy the trees in bloom.
      Sorry but we have to keep our 'wet' as our rainfall is so far below average that it's not funny. We had out 4th driest winter on record so need all the spring showers we can get.

      Delete