Thursday, May 9, 2013

A WEE FUN POEM

I must be honest and say I am not a great fan of South Australian poet John Shaw Nielson but while scanning through his poetry today I came across this little gem so thought I'd share it with you.  Hope it brings a smile to your face as it did to mine:

A PROTEST AND A PROTEST
bu John Shaw Nielson

A certain old maid at Port Victor
had many strange pets to afflict her;
her kangaroos fought
with the emus she'd caught
and when she protested, they kicked her!


Well, it sort of fits in with the animals theme I'm doing at present.


6 comments:

  1. I like this I must say I have never heard it before. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure Port Victor refers to Victor Harbour in South Australia so very local. Just a bit of fun from a poet who wrote some quite serious and unusual poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Emus are tricky beasts. Years back I saw one snatch at a man's watch, he moved his hand, the watch was on an expandable band - and the emu hung on to it and then ate it.

    ReplyDelete