Friday, February 26, 2016

FRIDAY FAVOURITES

I have always enjoyed to the Skye Boat Song and while searching for it on YouTube I found a version I'd not heard before sung by the Corries.   I believe there are other versions included here as well.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.


Just an added note re family:  My great-great-grandparents must have at one time lived on the Isle of Skye as their son (my great-grandfather Stephen Anderson and his sister Isabella were both baptised on the island).   James and Jessie Anderson (he was a shepherd) arrived in Australia on the "Salsette" on 2 January, 1841 with their family.  They finally settled on a property "Lollipop Ponds" near Werribee, Victoria.   I have researched the family thoroughly and have been delighted to find out so much about them.  (Incidentally, this is my birth family that I learned about in the 1990s.  I had waited until mum and dad were gone before I attempted to find my roots).

6 comments:

  1. I remember this song, it was one we had to learn in primary school. We had a 'singing' class once a week with a song coming through the loudspeaker from the headmaster's office and I never learned all the words because I couldn't hear properly. Those speakers were crackly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you now know the words.
      I remember we used to have weekly singing class. We taller ones in the back row would often just mouth the words and I don't think the teacher ever woke up to it. Not sure how we learned the words or if we even knew them sometimes.
      Ah, that brings back so many memories.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Ah the Corries - sounds of my youth... and sounds still found strong hereabouts. It does not surprise me at all to discover you have Scottish blood, Mimsie, and that too of the islands! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you would know of them Yam. There are many versions of this song but I did enjoy this one.
      I also have Danish blood and they invaded Scotland so lots of connections in the northern lands as well as England too of course.

      Delete
  3. .. lovely song.. one of my favourites too.
    Have a great day... hugs... Barb xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Barbara. Have a great weekend. xx

      Delete