Tuesday, August 2, 2016

TUESDAY CHAT

The week began very well for us.  It was daughter's birthday Wednesday and I'd asked her if she would like us to take her out for lunch.  She had replied she would love to come and visit but not go to an hotel or cafe.  That was fine with us so Phil went and fetched take away Chinese which we all enjoyed very much.  K has been busy at work, has her own health issues and a family about whom she worries a lot.  It was wonderful to have her with us for about 5 hours and we could just chat about anything that came to mind.  We don't see her as much as we like and we accept that in this busy, busy world.  I, in turn, worry about her as I think she is in need of a restful holiday.  She and her hubby are off to New Jersey end of September to visit their #3 daughter and her partner. I am hoping a change will be good for them both and they will come home feeling they can face the world once again.  No, we didn't have a cake as K didn't want one but I thought this would make the page look prettier.

Now...did I tell you I'd sent away a saliva sample to have my DNA ethnicity checked?  It came back last week.  I had anticipated most of it but not all. It turned out I have 32% Great Britain; 31% Ireland (where on earth that comes from I don't know); 18% Scandinavia (I expected that as my two great-grandparents on my mother's side were from Denmark); 15% West Europe (which also makes sense to me).  There was a possibility of 2% Iberian Peninsula which could be right depending on how far back it goes, and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia which could also fit in perhaps with the Scandinavian part.  They explain the last two tiny results as probably not absolutely positive.

I know my maternal great-great-grandparents emigrated from Scotland in the 1800s and I wonder if perhaps their ancestors came across from Ireland.  GG-granddad was a shepherd and took up land where Werribee now stands when he arrived in Victoria.  Poor man died of gunshot wounds as he had accidentally shot himself as he climbed through a fence on his property.

I have a grandfather who supposedly was born in Bath, England in 1800 and he emigrated first to Tasmania and then to Werribee via Sydney.  He was well known and in fact named the town Wyndham after a commanding officer he knew in the British army and who he admired greatly.  After his death the town was renamed Werribee but the surrounding area is still known as Wyndham Vale.

I also know my birth father was born in London and my ancestors on his side seem to be very much from the south of England.  I have traced that family back to the 1600s and also the female side too which seems very much belonging to the south of England.

Phil has not decided he would like to have his DNA checked as he has a reasonably rare blood group (B) and see if he can find where that comes from.   I've traced much of his family tree and they seem very English but one never knows what happened centuries ago.

The rest of the week has been very quiet. We had some rain but badly need more but I wish the damned weeds didn't pop up after the first good shower.   They really do grow so well at our place...wish we could sell them.

Tomorrow I visit my endocrinologist and am waiting for my blood test results to arrive.  Hopefully they will be in my mail box today before I go see him.  I always like to know in advance what they are so I am prepared if he is not happy.  My blood glucose has been a bit up and down of late and I've been changing the amount of insulin I inject at night.  Personally I think it depends on how bad my arthritis is as they say stress can cause your BG to rise (as well as your blood pressure apparently).  Maybe I should make a note of when the aches are at their worst and compare it with BG readings?  No, too much thinking about self all the time is not a good idea so I think I'll just go with the flow, as long as the flow is not too high!

I hope the coming week treats all of you with kindness....keep well and keep happy.


15 comments:

  1. What a treat to spend 5 hours with your daughter celebrating her birthday and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 5 hours enjoyed by all 3 of us. I is always nice to see all the family but this day was extra special.

      Delete
  2. hari Om
    So glad you got quality time with you daughter. The DNA is interesting; if your forbear came from the West side of Scotland, particularly around Ayrshire and lower Argyll, then there is likely to be a strong Irish influence somewhere down the line; beyond what records could show.

    Yeah, stay cool and flowing Mimsie! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ancestors came from Inverness...great-grandfather christened on isle of Skye as was his sister.
      Actually need warming up right now as Perth is having a real cold snap and believe snow fell somewhere this morning, possibly on Stirling Ranges down south.
      Keep well yourself. xx

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Inverness is East coast; Skye is West ... and is the origin of my own paternal family line! It's a little far North for Irish influence - but you never know... &*> Yxx

      Delete
    3. Yam according to the map the Shire doesn't extend to the east coast. I am not sure exactly where GGG was born but I know he and his wife were married in Laggan. I notice the coat of arms for the county contains a crest from the MacLeods.

      Delete
    4. Hari OM
      ...shire??? Ah you didn't mean the city of Inverness (which is East coast), but the whole county of that name (Now called Highland and Islands Council Region...much less romantic!). Laggan is a town some 50-60 miles due South of the city of Inverness, and some 100 miles from Skye. To have been christened so far from place of birth suggests family connection on the island. Genealogy is fascinating detective work eh?! Yxx

      Delete
    5. ...tsk silly YAM - I reread that properly and see that GGG Married in Laggan, not born there. Apologies. Yxx

      Delete
    6. No problem. I am unsure exactly where GGG wss born nor GGM for that matter. I had a lady in Scotland do a little research last year and haven't added it to my Reunion info. Hopefully I may still have it somewhere. Sounds rather lax of me which is ususlly not so when doing family history. Must go look for it.

      Delete
  3. Stress can make BG rise? I wonder if that's why people overeat ...especially sugary things...when stressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sure that equates Sandy....probably more like surgary things eaten as rewards after stressful times.
      If stress makes BG rise then you certainly wouldn't want to eat sugar. We only do that when we have a low (had one this morning and they are really nasty).

      Delete
  4. How lovely to have a day with K. I miss her blog, but realise that life gets in the way some times.
    Good luck at the doctor - and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes EC it was great to have just her here with us much we love our family. Quality time was what it was all about.
      I too miss her blog as she always wrote so well and showed interesting things. She no longer plays scrabble or farm town on Facebook. I think with work and all she is just too tired.
      My blood test results didn't arrive today so perhaps tomorrow morning. Results from other doctor did arrive and my cholesterol is good again thank goodness.
      Hope your week will be a good one. Can only hope.

      Delete
  5. Interesting results on your DNA, Mimsie. I'd love to get mine done, but think it's too far out of my budget. I know I have German and Swedish ancestors on my mother's side, but that's all I know.
    My first ex has 'B' blood and has English and Scottish heritage with a little German thrown in.
    I'm glad you got to spend so much time with K for her birthday, I'm sure it was relaxing for her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I splurged $149 on my DNA with Ancestry. I do very little else so decided I'd treat myself.
      I've been told on my birth father's side there could be German blood but I've not found it although I've gone back a few centuries. Seems you and I both have Scandinavian ancestors. Maybe cousins 50 times removed!! Who knows?
      I think K felt relaxed with no pressure put on her of any kind. She needs that occasionally.

      Delete