Sunday, June 12, 2016

SOMETHING A LITTLE DIFFERENT

I thought this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson rather cute.  Hope you do too.

The Land of Counterpane

When I was sick and lay a-bed
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day,

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bedclothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out.
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant, great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill.
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.



4 comments:

  1. My son had a very active imagination as a young child, just like the teller of this delightful poem. A child's imagination is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it in my head that he spent a LOT of time on a sickbed as a child. I could be wrong, but I seem the remember he was often a sickly child.
    I am very glad that he had adventures while bed-bound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there's a memory! Childhood illnesses when bed seemed to be the best option according to doctors. Measles, chickenpox, tonsillitis; all required days in bed according to the medicos of the time. I remember a bout of tonsillitis when I was five or six and being allowed to spend the day in mum's bed. She tucked me up with books to read, then went out shopping and brought home a new colouring book and packet of coloured pencils.

    ReplyDelete