Thursday, August 23, 2012

REMEMBERING A LIFE-LONG FRIEND

Today my friend Judy would have been 82 but she is no longer with us.  She died on 17th February, 2009 after a battle with cancer.

I first met Judy when I began attending Perth College back in 1944.  We were in the same class together for one year before she left to go to another school.  I can't say we ever really clicked and in fact I didn't like her all that much as she was a bit of a devil and I tended to be a rather quiet child.


We met up again a few years later and became really close friends.  In fact I was her bridesmaid when she married in 1950.  This photo taken as we were leaving the Anglican church in Highgate.

Judy and I remained friends throughout the years, although there were times when she and I didn't always see eye to eye, but the important thing we had in common was that we both found it easy to laugh.  We found we were able to laugh at ourselves and at each other as well as many other things.  Actually I remember Judy and I having a good laugh about something probably quite ridiculous only a few days before she died which I think showed her strength of character.

Judy is often in my thoughts and I do miss her and in particular the wonderful laughs we had together.

(Her first husband Barry shown in this photo would have celebrated his birthday yesterday.  He died on Christmas Eve in 2010).  He was a pharmacist in Katanning for many years.  I remember him well.  He was a very nice gentleman.)


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your friend. I think all friendships should have their ups and downs - just like life. I love this photo, particularly the happy glint in your eye. Oh, the fashions of the day are just glorious aren't they? Thinking of you and your friend today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PPMJ...I feel you are right. If we all agreed on everything life would be pretty dull. Do I have a glint in my eye? It wasn't because of the best man. He was awful. That is a nasty thing to say but my friend didn't like him either. It was back in the day when catholics were not allowed in churches other than their own, so the groom's best friend, being a catholic, was excluded from taking part in the service or even being present. I am so glad that has changed and there is now more freedom between denominations.
      The fashions were rather special and very neat and tidy too. xx

      Delete
  2. And while you remember her she is not gone. I believe that the friends/lovers/family we can laugh with are the ones who will remain through the good times and the bad.
    Wonderful photo too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite right...while we remember those that have passed on they are not gone. I remember explaining that to my granddaughters when they were quite young. Their grandmother (my mum) had just died and had taken the 3 girls on holiday to Albany and we talked a lot about their grandma and I tried to explain to them that while they remembered her then she lived on. My problem these days is there have been so many people who have left this mortal coil that it takes quite some time to remember them all.

    ReplyDelete