Thursday, February 6, 2014

THOUGHTS ON THURSDAY

Each Thursday I try and fine the 'right' things that have happened that day or during the week and this week that have been several of them.

On Saturday night we went to Kelmscott (to our daughter and son-in-law's home) for a sausage sizzle as the day before it had been their eldest daughter's birthday (she is our eldest granddaughter).  A very pleasant evening and quite cool as well which was a blessing and I always so enjoy it when the family get together.

On Monday we had a visit from my late friend Judy's youngest son Richard.  It was a complete surprise and it is always great to see him.  We enjoyed  Subways for lunch and I've promised to supply him with copies of his family tree which I researched for his mum some years back. This is Richard chatting with Phil down at Rockingham last year:


Today I had a telephone call from my daughter to tell me her doctor says she must not return to work until 24th February which I completely agree with.  I've been worried that, although the knee is doing really well, she could suffer permanent nerve damage in her leg and now feel 'right' about her doctor looking after her so well.  K now has to rest and take it easy as much as possible while still doing the appropriate exercises she has been shown.  She will be doing some work projects at home so won't be completely bored.  Pity I don't live just around the corner so I could pop in for a cuppa but thinking about that perhaps not.  I'd probably drive the poor woman potty.

Also today a telephone call from my nephew Steve who I met for the first time in January, 2012.  He now has his own electrical business and we've been having him do some work for us at our old house and now it is all safe and up to date which is nice to know and very 'right' indeed.  I'd rather pay a family member I can trust than a complete stranger to do the work.   Steve too is into genealogy and we shared some more family information.  This is Steve in his army uniform a few years ago.  The black and white photo I think was taken when he was in the army reserves.  He did two tours of Afghanistan:


The last and final 'right' is OUR LIGHT POLE IS UP.  I call it ours as it is right on our verge so now all I need to do is to wait until it is dark and see if it is working OK, although it could take a day or two before it is connected.  It will be so 'right' to have our end of the street with good lighting once again as for years it has been somewhat below standard.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Mimsie spending time and talking on the telephone with family is the best. I am happy you can do that. Your daughter will be OK time from work will be good. Steve is a hero to help you and your country. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Telephone talk is so much better than any other kind of chat, except perhaps face to face. I am sure K will be find. She just has to have patience and try not to be too bored being at home. Steve is a great bloke and I am so glad we met eventually.

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    ...that is a smorgasbord of "right" Mimsie!! My right this week is that things are moving along a little bit more towards getting contracts exchanged for my new home. That is my key measure for the immediate future!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best a nest of rights than of wrong isn't it? Sometime sit just works that way.
      So glad everything is falling into place for you. xx

      Delete
  3. it was so 'right' to find someone who shared your passion for genealogy. My right this week? Our neighbour has a 4x4 and a blade and pushed a lot of snow off the road onto the opposite bank so when the snowplow came by we didn't get such a load in our driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be snowed in although Phil has tried to explain it to me from his experiences with 30 years of English winters. Glad your driveway was clearer yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Your nephew is a hero in so many ways. I too have gotten involved in genealogy research, and have found that there is a drop of nobility in my blood. Just a drop, but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Steve really is a terrific bloke.
      Genealogy is so interesting isn't it? One of my English ancestors was noted as a 'gentleman' on his Aussie death certificate but no nobility as far as I know. My daughter in her family tree has two convicts shipped from England to Oz and I am so envious of her. LOL

      Delete
  5. Hello Mimsie, Ive been following all of your posts so I am still around! But most times when I press publish my comment disappears - I am going to firmly blame 'blogger'.
    the weekend is approaching fast, may you and Phil have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose and hope I'm not boring you too much.
      My comments stay here but for some reason (at least to me) are staying in the little white squares provided instead of showing as black print. Must be a hiccup somewhere.
      Thank you and hope your weekend is also an enjoyable one and not too hot.

      Delete
  6. So many 'rights' all at once! What a fabulous week you've had with everything coming together like that. Nice to know your wiring etc is all safely up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just hoping next week won't be all 'wrongs'. Perhaps I was tempting fate with so many 'rights' in the one week. Let's hope not.
    Actually we had a little hiccup when we turned the front porch light on lat night. All the other lights went out!!. Steve had put trips in the meter box instead of fuses. Fortunately he was in the neighbourhood again today and was able to fix the problem. It was the original wiring that had caused it so it is now fixed. He didn't charge me as he said it was has fault as he had not checked all he should have but there was nothing dangerous involved. Just a shoddy job when the house was wired 50 odd years back and the new equipment sort of found it out. All's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete